Wednesday, January 7, 2009

1/7/09, or Tri-Dreams

I don't make a habit of writing about my dreams. Not "hopes and dreams" dreams. I mean the sleepy dreams. But I had a particularly vivid one last night. I'm not a dream analyst or anything, but if I had to play one for the duration of this blog, I'd say I'm suffering from some subconscious fears about the swim portion of the triathlon. And after making this diagnosis, I would say, "You're right!"

Here's a brief telling of the dream I had: I arrived for a triathlon the day before so I could sign in and pick up my race packet. The family wasn't with me for this race. But that's not unusual as I've raced a few duathlons in the past without any support crew. As I'm trying to find my way to the check in area I find that I'm walking down a narrow path beside a narrow waterway. I wouldn't call it a creek even, though it looked deep. I couldn't see any current in it at all. The path and the water enter into a series of tunnels or very long underpasses of sorts. I begin to notice how many fish are in the water. They're everywhere. And then I notice larger things in the water. At first I thought they were baby hippos but eventually decide they are manatees. And they're everywhere too! The water, which of course is very muddy and hard to see through, is literally filled with fish and manatees. And then I see exactly what I'm now worried about. There are dudes swimming towards me from further in the tunnel. This is where the swim is going to be in the morning. I can remember hoping that I brought my wetsuit with me to give me some kind of protection from the wildlife. I did eventually make it to the check in table, but left it without being reassured of having a safe swim leg. Gulp!

Of the three sports, I am least confident in my swimming. But sometimes, when I'm in the water, I think that maybe, my greatest potential lies in the swim.

9:44 PM: Just got back from the pool where I squeezed in a mile and a quarter before they closed it. First half of the swim was rough. My head was too high in the water and I kept getting water leaking up my nose. Not enough to choke me. Just enough to start trickling down the back of my throat, triggering my swallow reflex. I figured it out eventually and had a strong second half. Guess I need to keep working on my form.

No comments: