Thursday, March 13, 2008

Being a Bum

Well, I was a lazy bum this morning. Instead of getting up at my alarm, I laid in bed and thought about getting up. Not the same thing. I don't regret it too much, though. My legs were still a little sore from yesterday's run in the morning, and from lifting Tuesday evening. I'm a big believer in rest. Rest is important. I'm also glad that my training schedule doesn't control me. I am able to loosely follow it. I think that's important, because it keeps things fun. If running became like work, I would quickly lose interest. I do work at work because I need to pay the bills. I run on my own time because it's fun and I enjoy it. Granted, if I trained more like someone trying to make the Olympics, I might destroy my PRs and be more competitive in my age group. That would be nice, but I don't know how much fun it would be. And the fun part is way more important to me than where I place at the finish line.

As for finish lines, my first 5 miler since last July is two days away. That's another reason for me resting this morning, I want to be as fresh as possible. Mrs. P has shin pain right now, because she doesn't rest enough. But she won't listen to me. Anyway, the weather forecast is starting to come around to be more favorable. They're calling for sunny skies but chilly temps. That's OK, I suppose. I'm not a huge fan of running in the cold any more, but since it's paid for, there's not much to do now but go racing. Off hand, I don't recall what my 5 mile PR is. I'll check and post again before Saturday morning. It would be nice to set a new PR, but I know this course has some climbing on it, so I'm not going to hold my breath.

Mr. P

No comments: