Tuesday, March 25, 2008

I'm Becoming Rather Proficient at Doing Indoor Bricks

A "brick" workout being a combination of multi-sport disciplines, done back to back during a workout. As I compete in duathlons, my sports are running and cycling. Heading into last season, I performed only one brick workout. That was at the rec. center, about this time of year. First I did a few miles on a treadmill, then I jumped onto a stationary bike, then a couple miles worth around the indoor track. It was hot and crowded, and that was one of my last visits to the rec.

This year, however, I've been trying to do a brick every Sunday, in place of my long run. I've been pretty good at getting the workouts in too. I must admit that I'm beginning to tire of all the indoor work, and I long to get outdoors again. Easter morning, I completed my latest brick. A two mile run on the treadmill, followed by 10 miles on my bike trainer, finishing with a final 3 miles on the treadmill. Now since the treadmill calculates mileage incorrectly, I ran more miles than I noted. But that's alright, the treadmill will soon be returned to it's rightful owner, and I'll need to locate a new one. Preferably one with a more accurate odometer.

What is starting to concern me right now, is the fact that I have the Capital City Half Marathon coming up in 3 weeks, and I haven't begun to increase my long runs. I haven't even begun doing my long runs. I just hate going out in the crap weather we've been having this winter and spring so far. And I hate running for more than half an hour at a time on the treadmill. I suppose I'll just end up winging it. I was at a point last fall, where doing a 13 mile run was easy. I could just up and go whenever, and still finish at or around my average time for the distance. I guess I can use it as an early season test to see how fit I actually am right now. Run the race, but not worry too much about my finish time. Based upon my results from the stair climb and the 5 miler, I'm confident that I am in better shape right now, than I was at this time last year. Besides, the Rite Aid Half in May is where I would like to make a PR attempt at the distance.

Although I think I'm in good shape and on a sure course for success, there is this one little thing that will most likely interrupt training next week..... VEGAS BABY!!! Yes, we're taking a short spring break trip to Vegas next week. I'm taking my running shoes and some clothes and have every intention of working out while out there. But it is Las Vegas, and who knows what's going to happen.

Mr. P

No comments: