Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Blizzard of '08

I may have mentioned this before, but I'm seriously tired of the snow here. I mean come on, 15+ inches of snow with drifts 2 to 3 feet deep? I shovelled 4 times on Saturday, and it kept coming back. When you have a dog who can't see, having snow drifts across the back yard is not an option. Now, in Cleveland, we didn't technically have a blizzard. The winds were not sustained above the required threshold. We just had gusts. It was bad enough though, that mail delivery was canceled for us, as well as businesses closing early. Some areas had enacted emergencies which prohibited driving. But the Cavs still played, along with the minor league hockey team, the Monsters, and Wicked was still being performed. You just have to know where your priorities lie!

On the positive side, at least I was able to get a good workout in Sunday morning. I logged another duathlon brick workout. First, 2 miles on the treadmill, followed by 10 miles on the bike trainer, finishing with another 3 miles on the treadmill. I felt really good too. I was able to try out my new pedals and shoes. The pedals are wonderful. So much lighter with a wider area to work with than the Shimanos. I will need to do some tweaking though. The shoes are just a hair tight, so I'm going to find a pair of dress shoe stretchers to size them up. I'm also going to need to reposition the cleats on the shoes themselves. They need to slide a little back and to the inside. I'm glad I'm able to start breaking them in now, this early in the season. Hopefully everything will be ready to go when the weather breaks.

I took yesterday morning off, as I'm still adjusting to the time change. But I had a great workout on Sunday so I didn't feel so bad. Got a great chest, back, abdominal workout in last night. This morning I was back on the bike trainer, logging another 8 miles. I laid in bed too long and wasn't able to get an even 10 miles in. I plan on running tomorrow, Wednesday, hopefully a nice 4 miler on the treadmill. More bike work Thursday morning, with Friday being relatively light. My first race of the season is Saturday and I don't want to go into it sore or over trained. My shins are easily inflamed by daily running, unfortunately. I haven't run the St. Malachi course before, but I have run the flats in the past. I haven't done hill work since last fall though. Should make it interesting. Just no more snow!

Mr. P

No comments: