Friday, March 7, 2008

2008 Tackle the Tower Stair Climb

(This blog originally appeared on my Myspace Blog)

Before I get started, I want to once again offer my kudos and congratulations to the firefighters who participate in this event. Climbing 37 stories is a difficult undertaking, but to do it with full equipment, takes a certain level of fitness, and a special kind of determination.

So the climb went very well. I'm happy to report that in my first event of the season, I was able to achieve a new PR. I climbed the 37 stories in 5 minutes and 48 seconds. That's nearly 45 seconds faster than last year. And I still hurt like hell for the effort too. My time was good enough to get me 12th of 63 in my age group, and 74th of 711 overall. I'm going to have a challenge next year, trying to better my time again. But try I shall. I already have some ideas about how to train more effectively. And I'm also hoping to end this year at a higher fitness level, so I would just need to maintain that through the winter. For some reason, I really enjoy climbing; stairs, hills, trails, etc... I don't know if I will ever get close to having a shot at an overall placing, but I would like to take a shot at the top spots in my age group.

No comments: