Sunday, March 30, 2008

2008 Around the Town 5K


This race should actually be called a 5.15K (or longer) as the course was just a teensy weensy bit long. But seeing as it is the first year for it, I won't be too judgmental. Except that I will mention the first and third miles were measured long, while the second was short.

It was cold yesterday morning: 23 degrees, frost all around, and some scattered icy patches on the course. A cloudless sky and no wind whatsoever made for a nice run though. Around halfway, I was warmed up and comfortable. It was a small race, a VERY small race. Probably the smallest field I've ever competed in. Which is why I finished 5th Overall. That's right, I said I was the 5th person to finish. I was 2nd in my age group. And I was gaining on him the last mile and a half. Just didn't have enough to catch him. It was really neat to be able to see the lead pack for as long as I did. Usually they disappear from view shortly after the start.

As for my time, I finished in 23:11.39. That means I shredded my 5K time from last year (23:50.72), but didn't come close to besting my PR for the distance. My 16 year PR survives a little longer. That may end up being one I don't have a chance to catch, but we shall see. I've been focusing on training for longer distances so I haven't tried to bring my mile times under 7 minutes. Which is exactly what I'll need to do to touch my 5K PR.

Speaking of longer distances, the Capital City Half Marathon is two weeks out, and I am sorely lacking in the long runs department. Which is why I did a long run yesterday afternoon. I raced in the morning, took a little nap afterwards, had lunch, rested, then went out around 3:00 to log some LSD. (LSD is Long Slow Distance, not the drug!) I completed another 7.4 miles in just over an hour in decent March weather: sunny, upper 40s, but breezy. That means I was sweating running certain directions and cold running the others. I'm hoping to finish out the weekend with some time on the bike trainer today. No bricks this weekend!

Mr. P
 

No comments: