Saturday, February 28, 2009

Just Think Warm Thoughts


That's what I was trying to do this morning as we were getting in a 16 mile run in temperatures that averaged in the upper teens to lower 20s (if we were lucky) with a gusty north wind creating single digit wind chills. All around Medina we went. Sometimes it felt warmer. Sometimes not. Sometimes our pace picked up a bit. And then other times it bogged down. But that's OK because speed wasn't of the essence today, distance was.

After a week of backing off the increasingly long runs, it was time to start adding distance again. There was a time when 16 would make me worry if I could make it all the way. Fortunately, not anymore. We averaged 8:47 per mile to finish in 2:20:35. A very respectable time considering the weather conditions and the elevation changes. Yes, elevation changes. You see, we ran through the hilly part of Medina, not around my house. It's flat in my neighborhood, but not to the south. The hills are quite noticeable down there. And there was just enough icy spots to make things interesting.

I ran with Ladd  and Chuck, and since we have a very similar pace, the run went great. The past two group runs I've held back to stay with some people running a slower pace. So it was nice today to be able to push things a bit and challenge myself. I felt pretty good the entire time, except for the numb fingers, burning nose and cheeks, and watering eyes. My legs did start to feel tired with about two miles to go, but what's two miles? Especially after running 14!

A good run today, and I'm looking ahead to 17 next weekend. I need to keep remembering that the higher the training runs get, the closer race day is. And speaking of approaching race days, a big KUDOS to Heather as she pounded out a 9 mile run Friday evening at the Rec. That's the longest she's ever gone! Her half marathon debut is going to arrive just as soon for her.

No comments: