Sunday, February 8, 2009

2009 Tackle the Tower Stair Climb

This year's stair climb has come and gone. And as with last year's, I was needlessly worried about my preparedness and what my performance would be like. I get nervous about this event unlike any other race I do. It's so short and intense, the only thing I can equate it to would be a track event. One of the longer sprints, like a 400 or 800. Maybe even the mile for those who race at that distance. I like the longer races. The ones where I can settle into my pace and comfortably make it to the end. The stair climb has no pace. Absolutely no comfort. It's brutal. The stairs give no quarter. If you make a mistake, there is no time to correct it. They tell you to start, and you go. As hard as you can. For as long as you can. You try to hold on, pushing even when you don't think you can. Legs feeling like lead weights. Lungs burning. Throat scorched. Sweat dripping. This is probably the hardest race I do. The worst I feel. But also one of the most rewarding.

Yesterday I was able to take 29 seconds off my time from last year. I finished in 5:19 for the 37 stories. That put me in 8th place for my age group and 36th overall. I had no idea what my time was as I was climbing. I couldn't tell how fast I was going. All I was hoping for was to come in under last year's time of 5:48. Last year, I had no idea how I was going to beat THAT time. Now I don't know how I'm ever going to better this year's time. I have some training ideas, but I'm going to really have to make the effort to implement them next winter. That's the tough part.

Upon finishing and doing some cool down laps around the upper level of the Galleria, Bailey decided that he would like to give it a try. So we headed over and registered both him and I for the fun climb. There is no timing on that side and you can walk up at your leisure. We did it in 10:30 or 11:30. I hit the wrong button on my watch and didn't realize it until the 8th floor! He did a great job! Next year he's going to line up with us and race it. He'll be ready.

Big congratulations to Heather, Dee, and Joe for all bettering their times from last year. And for feeling better during the event. I think everyone was happy with their results this year. Also congratulations to Krista and her nieces for coming out and taking the challenge this year. I hope it was worth it for them. We had quite the group showing this year.

After the race, we all went to eat lunch at Great Lakes Brewery. I had a burger with a pint of Grassroots something or other followed by a Black Out Imperial Stout. Amazing! And the cheesecake for dessert, don't get me started! After that we headed over to see our "adopted" parents where I was able to savor a small tasting of Johnny Walker Blue Label. Now I'm not a whiskey drinker, but that is smooth!

Today I was supposed to run 13 miles for the marathon. I headed out the door in decent weather. The snow has really been melting, revealing pavement that has been covered for what seems like a very long time. But there were still some snowy patches. I ran a serpentine route around the immediate neighborhood, often repeating sections trying to get as much mileage as I could. I finished with 13.2 miles. Not bad for estimating solely on my time. I still think I'm going to pick up a Garmin though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lookin good: Father and Son, GOOD JOB!!!! Texas

Dan Horvath said...

Dan,

Great job on the stair climb. Better than great - awesome!

DanH