Friday, September 24, 2010

2010 North Coast 24 Hour Endurance Run

I don't know what (or if) I was thinking when I registered to run the NC24 just one week after IM Wisconsin. I blame it on peer pressure. That, and the RD constantly reminding me that the price was about to jump and if I wanted to save some dollars, I needed to register soon! Thanks Dan!
.
So having not specifically trained for an ultra run, and having just completed my A race of A races, I came into NC24 just wanting to run and feel good. I entertained zero distance goals. I had no run/walk plan in mind. I was just going to conservatively wing it.
.
We arrived early enough to allow ample time to set up our tent, organize our equipment, and socialize, but somehow I still found myself in the wrong pair of socks and shoes as I lined up for the start. I wore cotton socks and my B pair of shoes expecting to be walking across wet grass, which happened. But even with my A pair of shoes right there in my bag, I didn't have the time to change, and began my 24 hours in the wrong footwear. This wasn't a big deal as I was planning to walk the entire first lap anyway and I just extended that out to the first three.
.
Walking at the start was nice. I was able to chit chat with folks and meet some new people. Vicky, one of the new runners I met, was in from New York and she and her husband were both running. We talked about a few different things, but I was intrigued by her description of their diets. FRUIT! Pretty much whole, fresh, raw fruits and veggies. They have a website that I still intend to check out. I don't think I'll ever kick my Reese's Cup addiction, but maybe I can incorporate some of their principles.
.
After finishing lap three I stopped to change footwear, grab a quick drink, and began running. This would be where the rest of the day blurs into what feels like one long hour. Everything blends together: one hour into the next, one mile into another. A timed event on a short closed course just does that. I know I stopped to get food and liquids. I know I decided that at some point it was time to change into a full sun hat and reapply sunscreen. I know I began carrying my water bottle around the course with me and stopped multiple times to re-mix my Gatorade/Nuun concoction. I just can't remember "when" I did those things.


At some point I ran for a bit with Marsha. She was out to run 100K (62 miles). Her longest run to that day was 50K so she was making quite a leap in distance. The great thing about a 24 hour (or even a 12 hour) run is that it makes that jump easier to do. Everything you need is right there for you. If you need to stop and rest, you can!



Here I am running solo again. After running with Marsha I pretty much just did my own thing around the loop until after sunset. The others I knew were either running faster or walking slower. Even though I was aching already and super stiff I was still enjoying myself. I enjoyed watching the folks flying all the kites down at Edgewater, the families and smelling what they were grilling, and hearing the large group of drummers who were having a big drum-fest! I had brought my iPod specially loaded with new songs but didn't feel the need to put it on.
.
As night began to fall, I switched back into my other hat, added a clip-on head lamp, and stopped carrying my bottle with me. I was getting very tired. Not just physically exhausted but need-to-sleep tired. I had a good idea I would stop running overnight and decided that after hitting 50 miles I would take a break and lay down. After getting a slice of pizza into me I joined Jr. P who was already asleep in the tent. It took me a while to drift off, but once asleep I was just fine. I remember being really cold because I just laid down in what I was wearing, sweaty and all. I didn't really care at the time.
.
Having set no alarm I didn't really care what time I would wake up. If I woke up at 9:00 and the race ended that would be fine. I had 50 miles in. As it turns out, I woke up around 5:00 and found this out when I went looking for some breakfast food from the aid table. I ate two egg wraps that tasted fantastic. Thanks Shannon! Mrs. P and Tara had been walking all night and had almost caught my distance. They asked if I wanted to walk a lap with them, so I did. That one lap was enough to get me going. I changed back into running attire and added my vest because the wind was now blowing and it was chilly. My next goal? 100K!
.
I covered most of the next 12 miles solo. I felt a little guilty at how good I felt for having slept and how bad most everyone else looked for having stayed out all night. But even for having slept I couldn't keep Connie's pace for even a lap! She was still hauling! My last few miles I ran with Frank and eventually John joined us. It was good company to have wrapping up that crazy run. I stopped after hitting 100K and went in search of Chef Bill's breakfast. I had been craving pancakes and guess what he was making? Pancakes!
.
Final totals: Me - 62 miles, Mrs. P - 54 miles! She did more than she thought she could, but would pay the physical price for doing it. I felt good and was happy I didn't overdo anything. I was sore and tired but not hurt. Jr. P got to witness something that even most marathoners think is crazy: a 24 hour run.
.
Congrats to Connie G. for winning the women's competition and finishing 2nd overall!!! As this was also the U.S. National 24 Hour Championship, she will be representing Team USA at the World 24 Hour Championship next year! Congrats to everyone else who ran, whether they hit they're goals or not. I won't try to name them all because there are way too many to name! REALLY BIG THANKS to all the volunteers who make an event like that possible! And congrats and REALLY BIG KUDOS to RD Dan H. for organizing a great event!!!
.
I'm excited to think about running this one again next year and seeing what I can really do!

1 comment:

Dan Horvath said...

That was some accomplishment coming just after your tri! And you were smiling the entire time!!!