Friday, September 24, 2010

2010 Ironman Wisconsin Part 5

Nearly two weeks have now passed since race day. The 24 hour event last weekend not withstanding, I feel very good! I suppose that because I was just out to complete the distance and wasn't racing it I'm not experiencing the general fatigue I've heard about. Yes, I'm more tired than normal, but it's not bad.

"If it were easy, everyone would be doing it," is the quote I've heard used regarding Ironman events, including NBC's broadcast of the World Championship in Kona. It's certainly not easy, but I think many more people could complete a race of this distance than actually sign up. Deciding a year in advance that this is something you're going to prepare yourself to complete is almost as hard as doing the event itself. I was a decent runner when I decided to make the commitment, but never achieved the physical ability I assumed would happen due to the training and so felt unprepared going into race day. With that said, I would recommend not waiting until you're at a point where you "know" you're physically ready. Life is short and things happen. Sometimes you need to just make that first step, registering, and prepare as well as possible to not fail. And when you do that, sometimes things will surprise you!

I loved my experience in Wisconsin. I want to do another one! Just not next year. Maybe in 2012? I mentioned to Mrs. P to pick one out! We do have some limitations. It would need to be during the summer months so we don't have to pull Jr. out of school again. It would need to be a colder water swim so I can wear my wetsuit. Proximity is important too as we would most likely be driving again. Lake Placid? Maybe. That one sells out as fast as Wisconsin so we might find ourselves driving up to next year's race to volunteer and register on site.

I thought I might feel an emotional let down after completing this thing. It was so big and had been on my calender for so long and now it's over. Fortunately I've had to deal with something like that before, many times with big marathons, and I don't feel lost at all. I've already done the 24 hour run and still have Columbus on my list next month. I really just want to get out on the trails and enjoy the fall. It's one of my favorite times of the year and I don't want to miss it because I started looking ahead to the next big race next year.

And that might be one of the lessons I learned while training and racing Ironman Wisconsin: Enjoy the now! Don't look past the training I'm doing today for the race X months away. Be sure to appreciate the swim while I'm swimming, the bike while I'm riding, and the run when I'm running. Some day I won't be physically able to do these things. And when I look back, what will I remember? Sure I'll be able to recall how I felt struggling through the first half mile of my first Ironman swim (I hope!), or climbing out of the saddle up a hill in Wisconsin with crowds lining both sides of the road like a scene out of the Tour de France! But I also hope I'll remember an 80 mile training ride in rural Medina County and coming across a field full of acres and acres of sunflowers, all facing the same direction into the sun and just being amazed at the sight. I hope I'll remember little things like that.

Thanks to Mrs. and Jr. P for bearing with my long training days when I would leave early in the morning and return late in the afternoon, and then lay crashed out on the couch the rest of the day. For letting me indulge myself with a new bike this year. I'll try to get it paid off soon! And thanks to them for their love and support over that weekend. I couldn't have done it without them! And thanks also to all my running friends for their support and encouragement and for having more faith in me than I had at times. It was all appreciated!

No comments: