Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Introducing Margarita


About three and a half weeks ago I made the decision to invest in a triathlon specific racing bike. I had some concerns regarding Bella on my long rides and on speedy descents, and with something as big as Ironman I wanted the appropriate gear. At one month out from race day, it was then or never. I drove up to Bike Authority, the Cleveland area triathlon bike specialty store, on a Thursday night and left a couple hours later with the 2011 model Felt B16. Even though I was keeping him there well past closing time, Doug took his time and made sure everything was fitted to my measurements and working properly before I left.

Even though the B16 is Felt's entry level carbon tri bike, it certainly isn't short on features. Quite the opposite! It's packed with upgrades from Bella, the Giant OCR1 road bike I have been riding since 2006.

A full carbon fiber frame, fork, and seatpost. Stiffer than the aluminum I've been riding, but more shock absorbing too for more comfort on the long rides.



Check out the slick hidden rear brake in the photo below! It's been moved down to the chain stays to hide it from the wind.


No need to run cyclometer wire. I've been riding with a Garmin Edge 705 for a while and it just mounts to the stem. Because it's a GPS unit it reads speed without the use of magnets on the spokes! Plus I get elevation data, heart rate and cadence if I want it, and a mapping of my route when I'm done.


Here is where I did some more investing: hydration. In addition to the Profile Aero Drink bottle that hangs from between the aero bars, I decided to move my other bottles to behind the seat instead of keeping them mounted on the down and seat tubes. Again, I went with carbon fiber since it was available. If I'm going to do it, why not do it right? It makes mounting a bag a little awkward, but I think this will work.



I changed out the stock Felt saddle with the more anatomically comfortable Adamo saddle I've been riding on. It may look funky, but it feels much better in the right places!


With this model year, the B16 comes equipped with Shimano Ultegra derailleurs, an upgrade from the Shimano 105's I've been riding on. They shift very nice!


Internal cable routing makes for a very clean look and gives the wind even less to grab on to.


Another view of my behind-the-saddle area. Two bottle cages on each side frame a mini pump mounted on the very back. I decided to switch from carrying CO2 to a pump just from a simplicity standpoint. A pump is easy to use and if you don't get it right the first time, you can do it again.



I've put about 200 miles on her already, including one half iron tri at The Great Buckeye Challenge. She's amazing to ride and now that I've had some fit tweaks performed, can only get better. I can now fly down hills that would have had Bella shaking to the point it was scary. Getting used to the bar end shifters took a little time, but now that I'm comfortable with their location I don't have to get off the bars as often, making me more aero.

Here's to hoping we make the bike cut-off Sunday by hours and not minutes!

No comments: