Friday, September 17, 2010

2010 Ironman Wisconsin Part 2

Friday morning dawned clear and bright. There was rain on the way, but it wasn't here yet. For once, I had a decent night's sleep in a hotel. Usually I'm very uncomfortable that first night and toss and turn. The Hyatt and our neighbors were very quiet all night. Might have something to do with there being a hotel full of nervous IM athletes! Although our neighbors in Boston this April were a little on the loud side. Is there a difference between runners and triathletes?


After breakfast at the hotel we walked past the Capitol to Monona Terrace for packet pick-up and athlete check-in. This had to be done by 4:00 Friday afternoon or NO RACE! Since we were up, we headed out a little early.



Sunny, but a little chilly.


My space in the transition area.


It was right by THIS building... and a light post. Those would be my visual clues on race day.


The look down transition from my bike rack. As I've read elsewhere, it was absolutely the longest transition area I've ever been in.


A view of the "bike" Helix. We would ride down this to exit transition heading out on the bike and then ride back up 112 miles later. There was an identical Helix on the other end of the building which we would need to run up (barefoot) after the swim heading into T1.


The Monona Terrace had some very nice details. Most were subtle. This area was one of the more eye catching Frank Lloyd Wright gems.


After touring the inside of the Monona Terrace we did some shopping in the Ironman Shop. I picked up an IM Wisconsin running hat and a sticker, a spare tube, and a newer version of the Profile Aerobottle with a "spill-proof" cap. The prices for supplies weren't inflated too much over a LBS.

After shopping we decided it was time to get in line for check-in. The lines were already forming so it seemed like the right time. We got in line not too far back. Unfortunately, we were in the wrong line. I needed to be in the line for USAT members. The back of that line was a little further back.

Waiting in the wrong line.


The view from the correct line, about twice as far back as the other.

Fortunately the line moved well, and we were soon at the USAT member check station.

Checking my membership card and photo ID.

After that Mrs. and Jr. P left me in another line. I didn't know what the line was for, but everyone else was standing in it, so I did too. The people behind me didn't know what the line was for either. It turned out it was to sign our lives away: the liability waiver line! Sign and date here, check that this information is correct, supply an emergency telephone contact, read and sign here, yadda, yadda, yadda... Basically just fill-in and sign everything or you can't race.

Then I was off down the stairs to an athletes only area.


The ballroom in which the banquet would be held that night. I could still just walk in, but we'd have to pay for Mrs. and Jr. P to attend so we decided to have dinner elsewhere and arrive for the athletes' meeting.

After filling out the forms we got into another line for a pre-race weigh-in. This baseline weight would be used on race day if we got into trouble. Too high a percentage of weight loss and medical staff can make you stop.

After weigh-in it was off to the race packet pick-up tables where we received our numbers, numerous bags, color appropriate swim cap, and plenty of encouragement from the volunteers working everything.

It was a lot to take in!



NEVER!


Once we were through with all my stuff, Mrs. and Jr. P found a big tent for loved ones to make motivational signs for race day. The big one would be put out on the run course, lined up with everyone elses signs. The other one they would carry around on race day.


I found a nice shiny wheel and occupied myself.


After a quick stop at the hotel, we were off to State Street to find some lunch. State Street as an interesting mix of college shops and restaurants. If you wanted anything, you could find it on State Street. We ate lunch at a little place on a corner called Tutto Pasta Trattoria.


I nearly cleaned my plate! I was stuffed when we went back to the hotel where I crashed out for a little while. After waking up I decided to head out for a short run. Nothing hard or fast, just something to get me going. I ran down to the Monona Terrace along the bike path. There were TONS of people out and about, and not just athletes. What an active city Madison is! There were a few people out trying to get a swim in, but it was very rough water for swimming. The wind was blowing from the south, really kicking up the waves on this side of the lake. Upon reaching the swim exit arch, I turned around and ran back along the lake following the bike path. I managed to find myself a little park with boat launch ramps and a hill. Of course I needed to run up that hill! The view of downtown Madison from the top was very scenic. I returned to the hotel for 4.3 miles. I felt good, pain free, and was in good spirits about the marathon I would soon be running. I just needed to make sure I lasted long enough to make the run.

We caught an early "light" dinner (appetizers) at a place across from the Capitol called The Coopers Taverne. What a great place! Mrs. P selected it because they had Fat Tire on tap! We ordered their Beer Cheese Pretzals and Belgian Frites (fries). The dipping sauces were amazing! And the Fat Tire tasted wonderful! We had two!

After dinner we headed back down to the Monona Terrace for the "mandatory" athletes meeting. As they weren't taking attendance, I don't know how mandatory it was, but they had some good information and presented it in very entertaining ways. We also caught the end of the banquet in which they were bringing people up on stage like the youngest and oldest competitors and a local challenged athlete who was competing in 8 Ironmans this year to honor the age he was when he lost his leg in a farming accident 30 years ago. He was very motivational!

And so ends Friday. I still wasn't overly nervous, but hanging out around all the really, really fit people was somewhat disheartening. I just tried to remind myself I wasn't competing against them, just myself and the clock. Back at the hotel we took an order of nachos back to the room and retired for the night. Saturday would be here soon enough and I needed as much sleep as possible before race eve.

Part 3 coming soon!

No comments: