Monday, September 20, 2010

2010 Ironman Wisconsin Part 3

Saturday dawned rainy, windy, overcast, and downright gloomy. Totally the kind of weather you would HATE to have to race in. I was ecstatic! It meant the garbage weather would be moving through today and race day would be spectacular! However, there would be no hiding in the hotel room for us that morning. Jr. P was excited to participate in the Kids Run event put on that morning.

This is what would happen to my glasses when facing south. Just enough light rain being blown in to make them unusable. And it was cold too! Fortunately we packed a variety of clothing just in case, and were able to be comfortable.


Standing on top of the Monona Terrace, we took the brunt of the wind and the chill.


Jr. P posing with the mascot from Edgewood College, whose student athletes were volunteering to help out with the kids' events.


Jr. P lined up in the front row for the start. Note the boy to the right taking some last minute nutrition from his finger. Hmm...


START! Jr. P is on the left side just above the orange marker. The kids ran one lap around the State Capital building, which is no short distance. Plus there's just enough of an uphill on the one side to make it a challenge, especially if one were to go out too fast. But kids wouldn't start out too fast, would they?


A look at the finish line with the Capital rising behind.


Jr. P on his way to the finish!


All the kids received their very own M-Dot medal!


Funny thing: After Jr. P finished, I turned around and there was Humpty Dumpty!

After the run was over, we headed back to the hotel to get all my "stuff" together. Today we needed to put our bikes into the transition area and drop off our swim-to-bike and bike-to-run transition bags. I needed to make some decisions like what I would be wearing on the bike (based upon the hour-by-hour weather forecast for Sunday), what nutrition I would carry with me on the bike vs. what I would put in my Special Needs Bike Bag, and what I would need for the run. I also needed to make sure everything else was placed in the appropriate bag: bike shoes, socks, helmet, glasses, gloves, and running shoes, socks, hat, and hand bottle. Once each bag was at least triple checked, we were once again heading the few blocks over to Monona Terrace.

Dropped off the bike, now heading in to drop off transition bags and scope out the rooms.

I thought Men's Get Naked Room was a very appropriate title!


Swim-to-bike bag drop room.


AKA the Men's Get Naked Room!


Nice and neat today, but come tomorrow a very different story! I'm sure there are times when every seat is taken, but when I would be coming in I wouldn't have to worry about finding a seat.



Bike-to-run bag drop room.


Surprise!


We had until 4:00 Saturday afternoon to get our bikes into transition or no race. This was still early in the day, about lunch time, which is where we were now off to!


My last "real" carbo-loading opportunity was lunch. We ate at Noodles Inc. on State St. I had found this place on-line and definitely wanted to check it out. Noodles Inc. is a quick serve restaurant specializing in pasta three ways: American, Asian, and Mediterranean.


I chose a regular order of spaghetti and meatballs. It was so big! I didn't think I would be able to finish it and earn yet another clean plate award, but it tasted so good I emptied the bowl. Jr. P also enjoyed his mac and cheese and ate nearly all of it.

I was stuffed! Sometime while we were eating the clouds moved out and the sun came out so the walk back to the hotel was pleasant. I think I took a quick nap, then as Jr. and Mrs. P were heading down to the pool, I commenced with the final shave down. Face and legs were to be nice and smooth by the time I was done.

Later, in the early evening, we decided to walk down and check out the race venue in detail and try to get an idea of where they would like to position themselves during the swim.

Running out!


Sign at the top of one of the helices. The bicycle riding part would not be enforced on race day.


Walking down the helix we would be running up after the swim. What a difference in weather conditions from the morning!


This would be lined with spectators the next morning.


And they would be lined up on every available piece of real estate to watch the swim.


Where the swim entrance and exit will be located. There were a few swimmers out taking advantage of the most ideal swimming conditions since our arrival.



Boaters out enjoying the weather.



Back on the top of the Monona Terrace with not a cloud to be seen.





The full transition area looking one way...


And the other.
Demo bikes all lined up.



Walking past the State Capital on our way to dinner.


We were getting some fantastic late afternoon light.





A look from the Capital west down State Street.


A statue at the Capital near the State Street intersection.


For my last meal, we returned to The Coopers Taverne for more Pretzal Bread Sticks and Fat Tire! Again we just ate off the appetizer menu, as we weren't overly hungry and the main dishes were gigantic. This time we tried the Mini Burgers, which were truly mini, but VERY tasty!

And so ends our Saturday. We hit the pool one more time. I wanted to burn off some nervous energy and help me relax so I could sleep well. I ended up tossing and turning most of the night with my deepest sleep coming in the last half hour before my alarm was to go off at 4:30.

Race Day Part 4 coming soon!

No comments: