Friday, September 17, 2010

State of Mind (and Body)

I've been called everything from inspiring to crazy for doing an Ironman. Yes, well there probably is something wrong with me, and I also hope to possibly inspire someone else to try something new or out of their comfort zone, but when it comes down to it, I just enjoy pushing my endurance. I get off on seeing how far I can go. I'm not fast. I won't win any races. But I can go just as far and for just as long as the people who do win the races. It's a healthy hobby I suppose.

I haven't really been called anything when I've told people what I'm going to be doing just one week after finishing an Ironman. I've just received confused looks and shaking heads. I'm not sure if it's because I'm doing a 24 hour run or because it's so soon. I haven't asked.

I'm feeling good one day before NC24. My foot is feeling much better, with no pain at work any more. My legs feel recovered. I'm still feeling them when I climb the stairs, but not as bad as on Monday or Tuesday. The only sore spot is my left hamstring where I cramped really bad in the water. I haven't gotten that far in the race report yet, but basically going out on the second lap of the swim, a woman appeared right in front of me. In my attempt to not swim right into her I pulled up so fast I triggered a massive leg cramp. It was so bad I needed to hold onto a kayak for a couple minutes till I worked it out. It feels like I may have had some minor tearing from that episode, and I can still feel it. So I'll be carefully monitoring it over the weekend.

Other than my leg I'm ready to go! I'm excited to be out there doing this crazy 1 mile circle running with a bunch of people I know! I have little to no game plan other than doing things completely different than in Morganton last New Years. I'm going to go out slow and take breaks when I need to. I may even take a nap! The rain went through yesterday and the weekend is supposed to be beautiful!

With so much to get ready for NC24, I don't know how much time I'll have left to finish my race report before next week, but I'll try to finish the story tonight.

Good luck to everyone running both NC24 and the YUTC races! And to all the volunteers working both! We can't run races without the volunteers!

No comments: