Thursday, May 12, 2011

Rite Aid Decisions...

Well, the Rite Aid Marathon is this weekend. And once again, after having decided to have nothing to do with it, I will be running it. Though this race is close to home, I've not been happy with it for a long time. The whole experience is hassle filled: from packet pick-up (which is even worse this year), to a very crowded race morning, to routing us through some really crappy parts of the city. Those of us who live on the south or west sides of town are really getting hosed this year as they've moved packet pick-up and the now obligatory-big-marathon-expo out to Euclid in a former Super K-Mart. Why do I keep signing up for this one? I have no (good) answer.

What I do have however, are some decisions to make as to what I will run this weekend. Here are my options:

1. Taper down the rest of the week and run the marathon as hard as I am able to, just to see where my fitness level is.

2. Run to the start of the marathon from Medina, an extra 26 miles, giving me a double road marathon for the day with the second marathon being fully supported.

3. Run on Saturday, up to marathon distance, so that I come into Sunday tired.

4. Run hard but smart during the race, then run long on Monday, giving me the chance to run tired.

The whole reason for my interest in running much more than 26.2 miles this weekend is to help simulate what I will be feeling during Burning River. If I'm not going to race Rite Aid, and I know I'm not in a position to try for a PR, then I might as well use it as a fully supported training run, which was probably my intention when I registered to run in the first place.

No comments: