Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A Muddy Mother's Day in the CVNP

This post is over a week late and I have one to write about the Rite Aid Marathon yet, but I wanted to get this published first. The week leading up to Mother's Day this year were trying and I really needed to get out for a run. Fortunately Sunday was supposed to be warm, dry, and actually spring-like! I had to hit the trails!



My choice was the Buckeye Trail parking at the Boston Store. South first, toward Pine Lane, and Peninsula. Back for any necessary refills, then off on the Brandywine Falls loop and back. One last stretch for a couple miles heading north, turning around at the Blue Hen Falls. The sun was out (for the most part), the day was warm and dry, and the trails were mud. The photos don't tell the entire story, for I took most of them on solid ground. Approximately 65% of the run was through either mud, soft mud, or standing water mud. It was a mess!

Despite the cool wet Spring, life is returning to the woods.



Along the Buckeye Trail.




Heading into Pine Lane.














I love running through Pine Lane.




A very green section.














The old brick road.









The Climb!









This is what most of the trail looked like. Seriously.




Pine Lane on the way back.









Sliding!









There were some tiny little flowers of varying colors here and there.
























Dandelion.




Brandywine Falls was impressive! The next day, however, someone died here trying to walk across the top of the falls. They put the warning signs here for a reason, folks.









The bridge across the Brandywine Creek.




The Brandywine Creek.
























The Piano Key Steps: Going down...




...and looking back up.



















On the bridge above Blue Hen Falls. There were too many folks climbing around the falls to get any decent photos.















From the field by the Summit County Engineers complex on the way back down to the Boston Store.











Done. Lots of mud. Shoes and socks were trashed. And a bonus... I developed an itch on the top of my foot up by my little toe. Then I noticed all these little bumps. A rash? Something bit me? It feels so much like poison ivy. I don't know if it grows this early or if someone can catch it through mud, but I got into something on this run and it has been driving me crazy! Other than that, I really enjoyed my dirty muddy little 18 mile run!



1 comment:

Roseann said...

Looks like a fun run, Dan! Makes me want to come home.