Tuesday, May 31, 2011

BR100 Training - Week 21

Well, to make up for a lackluster week 20, I went and overdid things just a bit again. (I tend to do that a lot). I felt a couple things. First, I needed some miles. Second, I decided I would lay off the trails until they dry out some. There's only just so much sloshing through mud and standing water I can take. I enjoy it from time to time, but when the entire run is like that, it's not so much fun. Plus, I've been battling this poison ivy every since the Mother's Day run. My foot has just recently cleared up, the original reaction site, but it has since spread all over. Dan B. was just telling me yesterday that it can get into the bloodstream? Maybe that happened to me because I have little isolated itchy bumps located in spots that were just fine until recently.

This Tuesday marked the return to a true interval workout at the track. We had decent, though very warm and muggy, weather, and a good turnout. All folks serious about pushing it on the track. We did a ladder workout, up and back down: 200, 400, 600, 800, 1200, 1200, 800, 600, 400, and 200. The rain that was threatening, and that would have felt really good during those 1200's, finally began as we were finishing up. The second set of times weren't as fast as the first, but I gave it what I had.

Wednesday I was able to work the legs out again with Kevin. He had me add deadlifts instead of getting on the leg press machine. They were a little different and felt awkward. I have a hard time doing squats due to my back, but these didn't bother me.

Thursday I wanted to go to Hinckley, but incoming storms kept me inside. Instead, I hit the treadmill again for 5 miles. This time I added in an upper body strength training set every .25 mile. I was pretty exhausted by the time I finished.

The big run for me this week happened on Sunday. I couldn't run Saturday because we took a drive down to Dayton to visit the Air Force Museum. I've been there a few times before, but they've really done a lot of work! Perhaps I will post some pics from our visit. Anyway, I wanted to get a long, slow, long run in the week before my double marathon. Since I'm trying to avoid the trails, I decided to run on the All Purpose Trail in the Metroparks. Basically along a portion of the Green Jewel course. Starting in Strongsville at Bonnie Park, I ran north toward Rocky River. I wanted to make it at least 10 miles before turning back, but I went 15 since I felt so good. Unfortunately, by the time I turned around the clouds had cleared and the heat really cranked up. I was carrying enough supplies with me, but it was still very tough making it back. I was dehydrated and overheated when I returned to the parking lot with 30.4 miles. Of course I would make the decision to run a little bit extra so I could finish with an even 31 miles. A self-supported 50K in hot and sunny weather. That was a first, but I'm thinking it won't be the last!

As I mentioned, I'm running a double trail marathon this Saturday. It's in Michigan so hopefully it will be a little cooler there. I don't know what the course is like: how hilly it is, or muddy, or groomed. It's a 13 mile loop I get to run four times. Should be fun!

Monday - Off
Tuesday - 8.0 miles Speedwork
Wednesday - 1 hour leg strength training (PT)
Thursday - 5.0 miles treadmill with upper body sets
Friday - Off
Saturday - Off
Sunday - 31.0 mile road run

Weekly totals = 44.0 miles

No comments: