Wednesday, June 24, 2009

First Run of Summer

Last night's speed work was my first run this summer. And boy did it feel like summer! I think I even made that observation while we were running. It was HOT. Like 85 degrees, not a cloud in the sky, humid hot. Our workout was a little shorter due to the heat, but our times were still on the nice side. 8oo and 1200 meter repeats were on order with splits of: 3:09 / 4:59 / 3:06 / 5:01 / and 2:58. Add nearly 2.5 miles of warm-up (was a warm-up really necessary yesterday?) and just over a mile cool-down for a total of 7.8 miles. Good, solid heat miles. Those will come in handy later in the summer.

We had a great turnout too. Tons of people. Some I've never met before. I hope it stays like that all the way into the fall. A nice turnout helps keep motivation up while training for fall marathons. Did I say marathons? I guess I did. I'm considering adding the Erie Marathon in mid-September to my schedule as a tune-up for Columbus in mid-October. I'll be sure to update when I make a decision.

No comments: