Monday, June 1, 2009

Busy Weekend

Lots of things happened this past weekend. I shall put them in list form:

1. Left work Friday and went to the muffler shop to get the car looked at just like I planned.

2. However, unlike I had planned, muffler shop shows me that there's nothing wrong with exhaust system. It's the engine. A re-build or a replacement and I had no intention of dropping more into the Grand Prix than it was worth.

3. Went for a swim after leaving the muffler shop. I took my new Ironman watch with me to get better timing. After a 25o meter warm-up I swam my half mile in 29:18. I know that's a horrible time, but I wasn't feeling comfortable at all in the water. The only thing I could think about was what to do about the car and I was lucky to keep my head above water a couple times.

4. Friday night we went over the neighbor's house for dinner and wine. Maybe a little too much wine. Well not TOO much, but more than was necessary. We did find out about an extraordinary red that slips my mind right now. Food included pizza, a pasta salad, a cheese dip, and key lime pie for dessert.

5. Saturday morning Heather ran in the Runstrong for Livestrong 5K while I played the part of race photographer while keeping Bailey company. This was the first year for this race and was created by an eighth grader from Root Middle School where the race began and ended. It was great weather for a run and it looked like everyone had a good time. Heather set herself a new PR by over a minute!

6. After scouring the Saturday car ads and looking online, we headed out to the local Honda dealership to peruse their wares. We test drove both the Fit and the Civic. They were both decent cars, but the Fit was just a little too small for us, although Bailey liked it because of all the cup holders. We ended up leasing a Civic and may end up going back there in November when the lease on the Jeep is up.

7. I was up early on Sunday to get in another bike/run brick. Parking at Bonnie Park in Strongsville, I headed east this time to the Brecksville Reservation. Lots of hills there and I wanted to get them out of the way early. I'm just not strong on the bike anymore. Those hills made me hurt! The descents were fun though. It was a chilly day and I kept a beanie on under my helmet, two pairs of gloves, and a wind proof running jacket on over a base layer, long sleeve, and jersey. Passing back through Strongsville I headed toward Rocky River, turning around somewhere before the golf courses down there. All told I rode 52.6 miles in three and a half hours. My 14.8 mph average is a little misleading as I was really slow going up some of those long climbs. I tried to take it easy and not hammer and I'm happy with the result.

After the bike it was time to run. I did the same out and back course as last week, but the Garmin gave me a different distance reading. That leads me to believe the trees are interfering a bit. So it looked like 6.6 miles in 51:29 which is a 7:48 per mile pace. Not bad considering the 50 mile ride beforehand. And it was a nearly 4 1/2 hour training session which is ultimately the important part.

8. After refueling and taking a short nap, we were off to see Up. We walked over and it wasn't crowded at all. It was there I learned other showings were offering 3-D screenings. Maybe that's where all the people were? It was a nice little movie. A little sad, OK, maybe a lot sad, but nice. I would recommend it if that means anything.

So a busy weekend. I'm sore and worn out today. I should hit the pool again tonight, but I don't know if I will. I guess I could just go easy and log laps. There are now only 13 days until my first triathlon. I should try to get as much pool time as possible.

1 comment:

Clifford Running said...

you'll love the civic and its great mpg. Good job on the traing ride/run. I think if I tried to ride 50 miles I doubt that I could run at all.