Monday, June 29, 2009

Fat Rabbit Results

The official race results have been posted, and they're pretty nice. Here are the main points:

- I finished 2nd of 5 in my age group, less than 3 minutes behind the winner.

- My time was good enough for 6th overall, just 5 minutes behind the overall winner. I'm very happy with this as it's probably the highest overall duathlon finish I've had.

- My run 1 time was 13:17 for two miles, a 6:39 pace, and the 5th fastest split.

- My bike time was 39:21 for 12.? miles, an 18.9 mph average, and the 18th fastest split. Good for me, but not great. Still in the top half of the field though.

- My run 2 time was 20:49 for 5K, a 6:43 pace, and the 4th fastest run split. This is the part that's amazing to me. Run 2 used to be my downfall. I would have a good run 1 and a decent bike, only to run a 25 or 26 minute 5K for run 2.

I'm very pleased to have the running thing down finally. Now I need to work on the bike and the swim. I think the swim is going to simply require time in the water to get better. That, and becoming more comfortable in the open water. There is a huge difference between the pool and a lake. As for the bike, improvements to the engine (me) should be the primary focus. They will be the least costly upgrades I can make. A tri-specific bike is another option, though extremely costly and not in the realm of possibilities right now. I am curious however, as to how much faster I could ride on a better quality bike. I would be interested in renting or borrowing one for a race just to find out if a carbon frame and different positioning would give me mph. Until then, engine work is my only option.

2 comments:

Clifford Running said...

nice job Dan , a little more work and you could win that race next year.

Anonymous said...

Very good Dan. This is your best ever and the idea to borrow a faster bike, or rent one is a good one. Congratulations!! Texas