Friday, April 3, 2009

More Crazy Marathon Dreams

And this one's pretty good, though not as long as the last one with the McDonald's play-land. I'm not sure what particular race this was supposed to be, just that it was one of the large marathons. I must have been racing out of town, as I was in need of transportation to the start line. Like if I were staying at a hotel or something. There were buses on the street, and lots of other runners, but not many bus drivers. So with my inclination to solve problems, I jump into the nearest bus, get behind the wheel, and prepare to shuttle a bus-load of runners to the start line. Now, I've never driven a bus before, the big kind like the RTA or Disney uses on property. But I've driven large trucks and they're automatics so it wasn't that bad. I also didn't know where I was going, so I just followed the bus in front of us. We arrived at the starting area just fine and everyone pours out from the buses. Here's where it gets weird. The marathon is a time trial start, with everyone lining up in order of their bib number. There's a long line and I end up being a ways back. I notice that there's water running down the side of the street, but it's not raining. Then I notice everyone is sitting on raft-like contraptions and floating their way to the start rather than standing. So I find a big plastic tub and float along in line with everyone else. As I get closer to the start line I can see that we're at the top of a large hill and we're starting by sliding down the hill like it was a big water slide. And that's when the alarm went off. I never got to find out how it finished.

Well speaking of rain, we're getting some today. It's supposed to pass by tonight and be dry for tomorrow. That's good because we're all running tomorrow morning. Heather and Bailey are doing the 5K and I'm running the Half Marathon with Ladd at the Spring Classic. Both of our half PR's are very close and we'd like to make some new ones tomorrow morning. If we can maintain around a 7 minute pace per mile, we should be just fine. I don't like going into races with specific goals in mind. I prefer to run as hard as possible and be pleasantly surprised by the results. Hopefully I can be pleasantly surprised tomorrow by sticking to a pace and achieving my goal time of at least 1:33:58 or lower. Preferably, lower.

1 comment:

Clifford Running said...

I hope to wake energized and ready to run. After all these training runs 13-1 miles should feel like a short run. While reading about your marathon dream Marsha was giggling in my ear.