Sunday, March 20, 2011

A Saturday Trip to the Track

So, after taking Friday off and missing the great weather we had in the hopes of healing some more, I couldn't let Saturday pass me by. I went up to the track in the afternoon to A) See how the leg felt and B) Try out the Newtons. I decided to wear calf compression for both support and so I could wear shorts. I don't know if that was the best idea.

I did three miles. Beginning with a one mile warm-up I then proceeded to run a mini interval session: 1600m - 6:41 and 800m - 3:20 with a quarter mile recovery and a short cool-down after. My shin felt fine throughout the session. No pain. However, I did develop some minor swelling just under the elastic band of the calf sleeve. I'll have to mention that to Dr. Joe tomorrow during my follow-up appointment. This thing is really puzzling. I just can't figure out what's going on there and it's driving me a little batty!

As for the Newtons, I liked them. They're pricey but hopefully I can coax a ton of miles out of them. If the only place I wear them is at the track, I should be able to run in them for some time to come. I'm going to have to get used to the different running position though. I've never been much of a ball-of-foot runner and these force me to be. My calves were a little sore by the time I was finished.

No comments: