Sunday, March 20, 2011

2011 Buzzard Day 50K FA

When Roy and Shannon announced the Buzzard Day 50K I was excited to run, thinking I had a good chance to PR the distance on the course. However as the day crept closer and my bum leg began taking a toll on me, my training, and my fitness, I knew going the distance, let alone achieving a new PR, was pretty much out of the question. So I arrived ready to run an easy loop, maybe two, and call it a day.


The morning was crisp compared to the last few we've had, and winter wear was in order. Bummer. As the official Buzzard Day festivities were taking place in the park today, I decided to park away from both the race area and the Buzzard Roost and run to the start, about a mile and a quarter. Puddles along the trail were frozen and the mud was yet to become mud as I made my way to the Exchange Cabin where the run was based out of. It was still quiet with only the chirping birds and scattered woodpeckers creating a soundtrack for my frosty run.


The sun was just beginning to show itself above the horizon, casting a faint glow upon the clouds. It would be a very nice morning to run. After signing in and mingling for a few minutes, we were off. I wasn't worried about hanging on to one of the three formal pace groups as I am intimately familiar with the course, having run it many times including by headlamp only.

The park had yet to welcome the bulk of it's visitors for the day, but there were already plenty of people out and about. The wildlife was definitely present and accounted for. At least the birds, as I didn't spot anything that wasn't sporting feathers today. A very fitting sight for the day celebrating the return of the buzzards was, in fact, a large wake of those very birds circling above the Hinckley Lake Spillway.


The trip around the lake, up the ledges, down Parker, and back along the bridle trail went well and was uneventful. My shin began bugging me after a few miles and my calves were still sore from yesterday's run in the Newtons, but I got along just fine. Running on the soft surface of the trails was a huge relief from all the road running I've been doing so far this year and I was just glad to be back on them. I called it a day as we finished our first loop. Dan, who had already run for about 3 hours before the start, was done also. I'm not sure if Becky continued for another loop, but as she's about to begin tapering for Boston, she really didn't need to go around again. Suzanne, who has been running incredibly strong this year, did continue on for another couple loops.

I wish I could have continued. Could have done the entire distance today, but I have realized when it's time to call it a day. I had my mile run back to the car, where I changed into some warmer clothes. I intended to head out onto the course to photograph the remaining runners as they would come by, but I wimped out. The cold got to me and I ended up going home early. I managed to get a couple shots from the top of the Whipps Ledges but that's about it.


Thanks to Roy and Shannon for organizing this event! I hope we get to try it again next year and that I'm in shape enough to really give it a go. Running through Hinckley is a real treat and to have a race there is even better. I'm having thoughts now about running loops there on my own as some BR training. Maybe a self-supported solo 50K? We'll see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent descriptions of the morning sunrise. Good editorial. Looking forward to your next run. Love, Texas