Saturday, November 28, 2009

nuR sllafretaW

No, I haven't lost my mind (completely), the run was the Waterfalls Run course run in reverse. Hence the backward spelling. I was debating about joining in on this group run in the Valley until yesterday. I decided that if I didn't drive over to run I probably wasn't going to get one in today. So once again on a Saturday, my alarm went off at 4:00 and I was up and about getting ready.

The drive over was dark, so I missed the snow remnants hanging around in the shady spots that I saw on the drive home. It was still a little dark as we got underway at 7:00, but light enough to see where we were going. As it was a clear sky overnight, once the sun crested the horizon it got bright out in a hurry. Since I didn't know where I was going, I had to make sure to keep with the group, so I didn't have time to snap as many photos as I would have liked. But I managed to get some decent ones.

The course consisted of three distinct loops, the first of which we ran in reverse to get back to the parking lot. The course and details of the run can be viewed here: Garmin Connect - Activity Details for Reverse Waterfalls Group Run. We began at the Lock 29 parking area in Peninsula. We then ran up an old brick road that parallels Rt. 303. Of all the times I've driven past there, I never knew that old street was there. From there we picked up the Pine Lane Trail which we followed up and down and around till we came out at the Boston Store. We ran past both I-80 and I-271 on our way.

The breakaway group I was running with coming down towards the Towpath, about to pass underneath I-271.

The sun was lighting everything up early.

After stopping for a quick restroom break we headed out loop number two. We were in search of waterfall #1, the Brandywine Falls. We found it easy enough and posed for a group picture there. I'll post it and the other group pictures once they become available.

Brandywine Falls

After leaving the falls we finished the loop back at the Boston Store. We had a close call with some deer crossing the trail, but nothing too exciting. Two deer came through some tall grass pretty fast directly ahead of us. As we got closer to the spot, we could see at least four more back in there looking at us, trying to decide to follow the others or wait. They decided not to follow the others. At least not with us there in between them. Good for us. I don't think anyone wanted to be run over by a deer. Even if they weren't reindeer!

Loop number two saw us run through the Boston Mills ski resort to get to the back of their property where waterfall number two was waiting for us. It felt like we were sneaking our way to the back, which I suppose we were. I'm sure they frown on anyone using their land as a cut-through. We had run through mud and had a couple easy water crossings and up until this point my shoes had stayed dry for the most part. This is where all that changed! You see, to get to the bottom of the falls for the group picture, we had to either try to cross a debris field consisting of some fallen trees and lots of leaves covering everything, or walk through nearly knee deep cold water. I tried to stick to the dry route, but with a little help from someone losing her balance behind me, leg number one went into the water. At that point I just thought "screw it" and leg number two followed right behind. The water was cold, yes, but it washed the mud off and my Cascadias quickly drained, leaving my feet a little squishy and cold, but not bad at all.

Waterfall #2. (not sure of it's name), with more debris at it's base.

Closer to the falls.

We found ourselves climbing a bit to get out of the ravine. It was nice to get moving again as the temperature dropped down there. We didn't have to go far to reach the waterfall number 3. It had a little paved trail leading down to it from a parking area. We would climb our way out that route after, but arrived from down stream. This is where I had my only spill. While trying to step up onto a large rock for the group photo, my slippery shoe went out from under me sending me down hard. I hit with my right shin and right palm, both of which are sporting some sore spots right now.

Waterfall #3.

A nice long flight of steps to climb up to the road on.

Once out on the ridge above the last two waterfalls, it was time to make our way back down to the Boston Store. We followed the Buckeye Trail as it wound down and around and switch-backed in spots. It was a fun descent with only one super slippery muddy downhill section that could have turned into a slide.

Our return trip back to Pine Lane was scenic, as the sun was at just the right angle to create some interesting shadows. Our group began to get very spread out on this section as we kind of knew where we were going. Here are some images from that last section, as I was able to stop without getting in any one's way.

Fallen tree across the path.

When in doubt, follow the Buckeye Trail.

I would have enjoyed this pine stand more without all the roots.

Roots.


This was much more fun going down than it was climbing up at the beginning.

Water crossing.

Almost all these fallen trees had significant moss growth on them. I didn't notice the light flare as I was taking the pic.

Still more steps near the end.

It turned out to be a great run. Nearly 18 miles in just under 4 hours. And I didn't stop the time at any point so some of that was just standing around. I would like to get some road miles in tomorrow, but I'll just need to see how the day shapes up. But now I think I need a nap!

No comments: