Tuesday, November 10, 2009

2009 Bobcat Trail Marathon

It's Friday afternoon and it's about time I finished this race report! Believe it or not, I have been working on this almost every day since Monday. Well, I have! The whole photo thing really slowed me down this time. I have been working with images from two cameras, two brands of cameras no less, I had to run the images through two different software programs, upload them, and then put them in order inside of Blogger. Trust me, it was work!

The Bobcat Trail Marathon was technically a race, although I wasn't technically racing it. I was trying to have fun. I equate trail running with having fun. Road racing is work, but trail running is enjoyable. So, armed with my trusty new Pentax digital camera, I set out for 26.2 miles of uphills, dirt, leaves, roots, uphills, rocks, mud, pavement, uphills, downhills, water, uphills, crevices, horse poop, and uphills. Did I mention uphills?




We arrived at Burr Oak State Park on Saturday afternoon. Let me just say that the drive down was "interesting". I would consider seeing a good-ol-boy driving a red pick-up truck drinking a beer with his 10 year old son next to him to be interesting, wouldn't you? Ah, the differences between southern Ohio and the rest of the state. After arriving unscathed from our drive down through all the twisting and turning, the ups and downs, the blind turns, and, if I may be frank, the rural poverty which I have never personally witnessed in Ohio, we checked into our mildly reconditioned late 1960's era room. I'm not complaining at all. Don't get me wrong, the lodge was in very good condition and clean. Our room was spacious and had it been in a major metro area, cost a great deal more per night than we paid. But there were definitely some things that were showing their age. And something bit up my ankle pretty good, and I don't think it was from the run through the woods.




I must take some time to thank the lovely Mrs. P for both being my crew during the race and acting as race photographer. I don't think I could have finished as well without her help. She had my special Gatorade mixture waiting for me at each aid station and snapped away with her camera at the same time.

My official time was 5:16:51, placing me 9/25 in my AG and 41/128 overall. I was hoping to finish a teeny bit faster than that, but I was surprised by the difficulty of the course and just could not go any faster in the final sections of the race. The race website promoted the course as having 2,000 feet of elevation gain and loss, but my Garmin showed over 5,ooo feet! That would certainly explain why I was so exhausted trying to finish the last 5 miles or so. And again, I never really thought of it as a race any way. I was just hoping to have a fun time and enjoy myself. The weather turned out to be absolutely perfect, so there was no reason to not have a good time.

So, with two cameras on site, please enjoy a visual documentation of the day:


Burr Oak Lodge on race morning. It was probably mid 40's overnight, giving the morning just the slightest nip. It certainly warmed quickly!


Getting a couple sips of last minute hydration. Had I any idea just how warm the day would become, I would have chugged a bit more before the start.


The Start/Finish line.


Race start.


Here I come with a big smile on my face!


My smile quickly faded as we began a nearly 3/4 mile climb on the road.


Coming into the first water stop I was prepared to drop my gloves and long sleeve outer layer. The fist section of trails was narrow, leaf strewn, rocky, was mostly up or down, and was very indicative of what the rest of the day would hold.


After dropping the shirt and gloves, I grabbed a cup of water from the nearby aid table and headed back into the woods.


The sights along the second section of trail were amazing. I could only imagine what it must have looked like only a couple weeks earlier when all the leaves were ablaze and still upon the trees. The lake was to become our running partner, always somewhere nearby and usually within view as we made our way around it.


Here's a good example of what the trail looked like throughout the course. Usually completely covered with leaves, it was hard to spot sometimes. Fortunately, after a few miles it became easier to find.


Running these trails demanded nearly complete concentration. I could only slightly admire my surroundings while on the move.





Exiting the woods into Aid Station 1.


Refueling on Fig Newtons and Pepsi!


Time to hit the road.


The scene just around the bend from Aid Station 1.


It was very scenic!


At the dam.

I'm way down on the left taking a photo...


... of the reservoir!

Heading into Aid Station 2 after crossing the dam levy.


Refueling time! Pepsi and PBJ sandwiches this time.


And some potato chips!


Back on the trail with a handful of chips. They became my favorite food that day.




The change in sound, smell, and light quality when we would run through a stand of pine trees was a very noticeable and a welcome relief from the blanket of dead leaves.






Looking back across the reservoir at the dam levy I had crossed a little earlier.


The light coming through the trees was spectacular at times.


Can you find the trail here? Amazing that I only got off course a couple times!


Heading into Aid Station 3. Time to refill my bottles.


After Aid Station 3, we ran down the road a bit, crossed the intersection, and were met by this hill. You can only see the beginning of it. It was a doozy!


My Forrest Gump wave!





Fellow MCRR member Daniel B. was smoking the course. I was just behind him for a while, but I could never catch him. He ended up pulling away from me as the race went on.


Here I am coming into Aid Station 4.


Although I look like I'm having tons of fun, I'm not.


I'm starting to lose my sanity at this point. We had a monster of a climb to get to this aid station and my legs were burning and beginning to rebel.


Pepsi and/or Mountain Dew and what looks like another Fig Newton. Although I think I had a few different things to eat while I was there.


I think I chugged some water as well. I was sweating a ton and knew I had to keep my fluid intake up.

Potato chips. My salty friends!


Chug-a-lug!


Belching? Maybe. But more likely saying something inspirational in a deluded sort of way.


H2O Tower.


Yet another of the sweet climbs along the course.


The view from the top of the above climb.














An unexpected meadow to run through. Look, no roots! But watch out for the wet mushy spots!



Coming into the 6th and final Aid Station. There was no crew access to #5, hence no pics.


I was thirsty, hungry, tired, sore, exhausted, drained, and whatever other words that would fit here.


I didn't know this would be the last Aid Station until Mrs. P told me.


Don't remember what I was looking back for. Maybe it was to try and see the bear I thought I heard. Maybe I was just fried in the head.



The final section of the course was by far the hardest and most challenging.


The trail seemed more uneven. There were more leaves covering more roots and rocks.


It certainly had it's views along the way.


But the flat sections were few and far between.


I think I may have tripped on every possible root on that trail.








We crossed a few bridges during the run, but this was the most substantial.





Ron, from Medina, with his daughter Tracey. She won her age group and was all smiles while I was still trying to finish. Ron unfortunately turned his ankle about 10 miles in and had to withdraw. Mrs. P told me about his injury earlier, which may have been partly why I slowed down a bit. But only partly. It was a tough course!


A welcome oasis in the woods with some very motivational content!


The going was much easier back on the road coming into the finish.


Finally done! I needed a shower I was so encrusted with salt.

The Bobcat was supposed to finish my "Gauntlet" consisting of three marathons in 8 weeks. I added Run With Scissors in there to give me four marathons in 8 weeks. It sounded more daunting than it actually was. The road races banged me up for a while, but these trail runs are great! As long as you don't pull a Ron, I suppose.

I know I should be tired after all the running this fall, but I'm not yet. Even though I swore off hills after Bobcat, I'm planning on running even more tomorrow. Ladd and I are going to drive over and run Bill's Bad Ass 50K. It's in the Valley on one of the more challenging trails. Lots of hills! The weather is supposed to be sublime and I'm looking forward to having a good time. It will be my first "Ultra"! I'm sure to be taking lots of photos!


1 comment:

Dan Horvath said...

nice story, nice pics and great run!