Wednesday, November 18, 2009

2009 Bills' Bad Ass 50K

50 kilometers = 31.0 miles. I've run 26.2 miles more than a few times, but never anything longer. So far, I've done nothing to earn the title "ultra-marathoner". Until Saturday November 14, 2009, that is!

The weather forecast for the weekend was looking to be too good to be true. And so even though I had sworn off hills the week before at the Bobcat Trail Marathon, I found myself wanting to take a shot at a hilly 50K. I hadn't confirmed my entry by the deadline so I wasn't sure I would even be able to "officially" get in. But that was OK because this wasn't a typical race. This wasn't an "official" anything. This was a group run organized on Facebook. No entry fee. No course support (even though there was). Finishers even got a sweet shirt! We just showed up, dropped off our gear and nutrition at the staging area, and ran.

For anyone interested, here's a link I'm going to try posting for the first time that will show all the data from the run: distance, pace, elevation, etc... Garmin Connect - Activity Details for Bill's Bad Ass 50K. I'm hoping it will work OK.

The sun peeking into the Cuyahoga Valley where all our gear was placed and where we would return each lap to log our time and refuel.

Although we numbered more than the event organizers expected, we weren't a large group.


The Bad Ass course consisted of 6 loops of the 5 mile Perkins Trail, followed by a half mile out and back section which took us up and back down a huge set of log steps. I actually enjoyed the course. There was a tough uphill section at the beginning of the loop, but we were blessed with some flat sections to recover. The final two miles were flat to downright downhill, which made finishing each loop a pleasure. So, without anymore delay, onto a photographic report of the day!

Just after the start I found myself running behind Austin, whom I had run with for a few miles at Run With Scissors and worked with at the North Coast 24 Hour Run.

The covered bridge, which we ran over twice each loop, going out and coming back in.

Ladd and I ran together for the entire 50K. Here he is, having ditched the pants and top layer, but still sporting the gloves.

Part of the initial uphill section of the first mile and a half or so.

We ran this downhill section the first loop but decided to walk it each time after. It was just too steep and the layer of leaves prevented you from seeing any rocks or holes.

I decided to wear black and black because it's something Chuck D. would do!

Looking back up the hill we just came down.

I was really surprised to find traces of green scattered here and there...

because every other leaf had turned brown and fallen down!

Ladd was working to keep our pace honest, which is why he will be in many of the photos!

See what I mean?

The landscape in that area is truly spectacular.

This sweeping downhill rapidly took us back down to the valley floor. It was a joy to run early, but by the fifth and sixth laps it was hammering the quads!

A fabulous pine tree stand. As I mentioned in the Bobcat report, I loved the changes running under these trees. It was quieter and the light was different.


Here we're about to catch a fellow wearing an HFP Maumee Bay Triathlon shirt. I was able to talk with him about Steelhead, IM's Louisville, Lake Placid, and Wisconsin. He ended up finishing right after us.

Here we're about to be joined by Chef Bill Bailey, one of the two Bills who put on this fine event! Thanks for your hard work Bills!

Chef Bill and Ladd.

Somewhere into the third (?) loop I started getting goofy with the camera. I call this, "Being Chased by a Horny Deer."

For a day in mid-November, we were blessed with something from early September. The grass in the field behind the staging area looked so green all morning.

Passing through the covered bridge again.

The stream that passed under the bridge on it's way to join the mighty Cuyahoga River.

Looking back at the bridge as we're about to plunge back in to the trees.

The Perkins Trail awaits us with it's climbs and roots and rocks. But fortunately not much mud and relatively easy water crossings.


Looking back at one of the simple water crossings.

The uphills were beginning to wear on me.

Ladd didn't seem to have any problems with them.


Low angle shot.

High speed shot.

High angle shot.

I always felt better when running through my pine trees.

Everett Road. We got to cross it each loop on our way back down.

Ladd running through the pine trees.

Ladd running through a field of some large grasses. There was also a pile of horse poop here that someone stepped in, breaking it open to fill the air with it's wonderful aroma.

The tall grasses, which I've seen elsewhere but don't know the name of.

Almost back to the covered bridge and the staging area, running with Mike K. and another gentleman.


Mike and Ladd heading for the covered bridge and the end of yet another loop.


Stopping to take photos proved to be a nice way to catch a little rest. Here you can see my shadow resting before descending that big downhill.

And here I am doing the descending.

Water crossing.


Another water crossing.

This lady followed us for a while. We offered to let her pass us, but she declined saying that her horse was enjoying catching us. She didn't know it, but she was really pushing us. We ran up sections we would have walked just so we wouldn't slow her down too much.




Back into my pine trees.

This was the greenest section we ran through.

Marsha joined us for our last loop, number 6.





Uncharted territory: Mile 27 +!

I was thrilled to be going farther than I ever had before.


Marsha planted one foot into the water immediately after I took this photo.



Ladd was concerned about Marsha making it safely across this crossing, but notice that he's not helping her too much!












Upon reaching the staging area for the sixth time, we crossed the road and picked up a new trail which had these babies waiting for us!

I was so happy to climb them!

So was Ladd!

Marsha? Not so much!

After finishing the steps we wound down the trail for a little bit until we came upon that which we were seeking: Dum Dum's!


Time to head back with our treasure.

I picked a cherry Dum Dum.

It was good!

I kind of suspected it on the way up the stairs, that the way down would be much more difficult!

And it certainly was!

Marsha wasn't happy about going back down them either.

But the finish was waiting for us at the bottom. 31 miles in 6:46. A sub-7 hour fun run!

A new distance record deserves a thumbs-up!


I truly believe the great weather really made this race as enjoyable as it was. I had so much fun running that kind of distance that I'm looking forward to my next scheduled 50K and possibly beyond that distance. I was tired afterward, yes, but nowhere near as sore as I get road running. Trail running is amazing in that way! The hills will really get you, but taken as a whole it's much easier on the body.

After cleaning up and a short rest we were off to dinner at The Melting Pot, which was described in the previous post. I can't believe it's taken me an entire week to get this race report up, but at least it's done. What else has happened since? Well, Thursday I met with Roy, Shannon, and Patrick in Hinckley for 13 miles of night trail running and just this morning I hit the mountain bike trails in Reagan Park for 9 miles. Tomorrow is the Fall Classic Half Marathon and once again I will be driving up and registering "day of". I don't know how fast I'll be able to run it, but at least the weather will be pleasant this year.

No comments: