Saturday, April 3, 2010

BIG Swim

I'm still trying to get a handle on all the things I have going on and get back into my blogging routine, but it's still hard. However, I had a HUGE swim yesterday I wanted to note. Rather than hitting the pool for just a half mile at lunch, schedules worked out so I could go after work for a long swim. Something that has been lacking so far this year. I have one 1.25 mile swim under my belt, but nothing else in that range, so I wanted to do at least 1.5 to 2 miles, if not my full Ironman distance.

Cutting to the chase, I felt GREAT yesterday! Everything was working together like a well oiled machine. Still, I wasn't that fast, but I felt fast! My breathing came easy and regular and I didn't need to think about it. My strokes were smooth and even. I was able to maintain a freestyle stroke for the most part and only used the breaststroke when I needed a rest. I didn't dilly dally de-fogging my goggles and just kept going with limited visibility. The only problem I had was some cramping in my toes and feet, something I've always dealt with during longer swims. I don't know why. Maybe it's a lack of foot strength? Whatever the reason, I just eased back on my kicking and was able to work through it. My shoulders were SO tired afterward, I thought I was going to be in for a world of hurt this morning. But fortunately things aren't too bad today.

Getting ready for a nice 20 mile trail run in a little bit. The weather has been OUTSTANDING this week and I want to enjoy as much of it as possible. Happy Easter!

No comments: