Tuesday, March 17, 2009

St. Patrick's Day 10K

Not a "real" 10K, as in an official race. But a 10K I ran on the track while Heather was doing her 5 miles this evening, on St. Patrick's Day. Originally, I was planning on doing my speed work tonight, but I decided to save it for tomorrow when there will be others to run with.

When I started running the first mile tonight I didn't have any plans in mind. I knew about how long it would take her and it just kind of came to me. The weather was amazing today for March 17 in Cleveland, 67 and sunny! It's always cold and rainy for the parade. Not this year. I am still a little sore from Saturday so I took it easy the first mile. But each mile after kept getting faster, except for one. Here are the splits: 7:38 / 7:20 / 7:23 / 7:04 / 7:00 / 6:36 / and 1:36 for the final quarter mile. A three quarter mile cool-down gave me 7 total miles tonight in 50:47.

So I have another round of speed work tomorrow, a 5K race on Saturday, and a 19 mile run for Sunday. I think Thursday and Friday will be off days with some low impact cross training. Lots of miles now. I'm in the thick of marathon training. I started breaking in my 2nd pair of shoes tonight. They felt great. I wonder if Second Sole still has Gel Stratus in my size?

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

No comments: