Monday, May 12, 2008

Time Flies

That's one thing I can say with absolute certainty about life. Time flies. Even when you encounter boring stretches, when you look back afterward, time is still just zipping by. And there's nothing we can do about it.

I can remember back in January and February, I couldn't wait for the racing season to begin. And now here I am, in the week leading up to the Rite Aid Half Marathon, and about three weeks to my first duathlon. I'm ready, there's no doubt about that this year. I would like to get in some more miles on the bike, but I think this year's increased fitness will help me transition a little easier than last year. It's amazing what two fall marathons, and all the training, will do to your body.

So, I have a half marathon this Sunday. If it stays dry, it's looking like primo weather for the run. I modified my workout plans a little this past weekend. Instead of trying to squeeze a long run into a busy Saturday, I just did it Friday afternoon after work and before my son's soccer practice. I wanted to get some good hill work in before Rite Aid, so I headed over to the Hinckley Reservation, where I did a few laps on the 3 mile trail. Three laps to be exact. Three laps, negatively splitting each lap. I didn't expect to do that. I completed lap 1 in 25:12, lap 2 in 25:06, and lap 3 in 24:55. My total time for the nine miles was 1:15.15. And I probably could have gone for a fourth lap too. I was just feeling good. I was also burning off some frustration from work. Being pissed at your boss is always a good fuel source. I need to look back at some past lap splits from Hinckley to see how I've improved over time. I believe I ran a few minutes faster per lap than I did last fall.

Our busy Saturday included watching the niece and nephew. I was fortunate to be able to get in over an hour with the weights while they were over. Mrs. P and Jr. did a wonderful job keeping everyone out of trouble. I guess the Tinker Toys and Lincoln Logs helped a bit too. Saturday night was a nice post-vacation slide show extravaganza. Lots of fun. The Malibu Rum was flowing like water. Which means I didn't do anything yesterday. We all need a day off from time to time.

That's about it for now. I'm just counting down the days until Rite Aid. I really have to make an effort to say Rite Aid too. Growing up it was the Revco Cleveland Marathon, and that's how I will always remember it.

Mr. P

P.S. I just checked to see if the results were up yet for the Run 4 Fun, and guess who ended up taking 1st place in his age group? That's right, me! Too bad it doesn't count, due to the course error. Oh well, someday I hope to be competitive in my age group. I guess if I can just keep going, as guys stop running due to old age, I'll move up by process of elimination.

No comments: