Wednesday, May 28, 2008

How Mr. Pythagoras trains one week out from his first duathlon of the year.

The secret? Get totally smashed on wine. I mean throwing up, wish I would just die smashed. That's about how the Memorial Day weekend went this year. Well, not the entire weekend. I was actually very productive, as I had hoped to be.

Friday night was Jr. P's final soccer practice. So what the coach likes to do is have parents VS. the kids. So it was Coach and I VS. the kids. Now I run a lot. And I run far. But I don't sprint very much, and I also don't do well with stopping and starting. But all in all, I fared much better than last season. At least Jr. P wasn't literally running circles around me. Saturday morning I was a little sore. OK, a lot sore. So I cancelled my plans to run. After the soccer game in the morning, we got to work on finishing the landscaping and the garden in the back yard. That took most of the rest of the day. It went very well and looks great! I'll get some photos up at some point. Sunday morning I was even more sore, plus I was now sunburned. So I cancelled my training plans. I'll just get my brick in on Monday.

This is where things get interesting. Sunday afternoon, we head over to the Winery at Wolf Creek with the Stimies. We grabbed some Subway on the way and found a picnic table that wasn't too far out of level. We had two lovely bottles of wine, enjoyed the nice weather, amused ourselves with the goats, and generally had a good time, until the mosquitoes came out. We left and went back to the Stimies' house where we proceeded to play some Wii and put down two additional bottles of wine. I should point out that most of the wine was consumed by two people, myself being one. Mrs. P ended up getting a horrific migraine so Stimie drove us home. This is where things become a little fuzzy. I don't remember how long I was sick for, but a heck of a lot came back up. I was feeling just awful Monday until about 2 in the afternoon. Obviously I cancelled my training yet again. I ended up losing about 4 pounds overnight. So at least there was a positive, even if it was just temporary water weight loss.

But here's the real positive: I'm excited that I won't have the taste for alcohol for a while. I don't know how long it will last, but it's going to be easy for me to stay away from the empty calories heading into this summer's multi-sport events. Maybe I'll finally be able to get my body fat percentage down to where it needs to be.

Take care,
Mr. P

No comments: