Monday, April 11, 2011

Pine Hollow to the Perkins Loop and Back

With 80 degree temperatures predicted for Sunday, I couldn't help but plan a long trail run. The question was: Where do I want to run? Hinckley would be close, but I wanted to get back down into The Valley. There was one problem going into Friday, however: The government had yet to agree on a budget for 2011 and there was the possibility of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park being closed. I was among the vast majority of trail runners who were going to run there regardless, so in the end it was just a matter of where I would be parking. In the end, the knuckleheads in Washington came to an agreement, so I could legally run my (not their, MY) trails this weekend. My run began well enough, with me leaving the Pine Hollow parking area for the Wetmore Trail. This section of trail I've only run during the Run With Scissors races. This would be my first trip down them without trail markings or other runners to follow. As a result, I took a wrong turn and got a little lost. I was on unfamiliar trail for a while, but it was the large water crossing above and below that made me turn around and try another route. After a short backtrack I found a fork in the trail which led me to the Wetmore trail head. I studied the map provided and decided my course. The course I chose was also unfamiliar, but it was taking me where I wanted to go: down to Akron-Peninsula Road. From there I could at least find the trail crossing and get back on track. This section of trail was wet. Really wet. And muddy. Upon coming around a bend, I found the little guy below. At first I thought it was just a garter snake, but it went into a coiled defensive posture. After some research online and talking with a co-worker, we're guessing it's a DeKay's snake (city snake). About the size of a garter snake but more aggressive. I shot my photo and went on my way. I eventually made my way to the trail crossing Akron-Peninsula Road and was back on track. I saw where I should have come out and made a mental note to head back the other way. For this section I was running on the Valley Bridle Trail. Super wet and super muddy! In the photo below you can see the puddles, but you can't see that all that grass is sticking up through either deep mud or water. No dry shoes were getting through this section, not that mine were anywhere near dry. Plus the thorny branches alongside the trail kept you from skirting too far to the sides. Past the chicken farm, through some muddy farm fields, and across the Cuyahoga, on and right back off the Towpath, across Riverview Road, I crossed the CVNP Scenic Railroad tracks. The train had passed while I was still about a mile away so I couldn't get any photos of it coming or going. On to the Everett Road Covered Bridge and the Perkins Loop I went, finally coming upon some other folks out on the trails. No runners, just some hikers. I guess the other runners were out earlier in the day. Perkins Loop was tough, as usual, and I began having some problems with my Peregrine trail shoes. I must have accumulated a layer of mud between my sock liner and the in-sole because on the steep descents the sock liners would slide forward and bunch up painfully under my toes. Twice I needed to stop and fix the problem. I'm now second guessing purchasing another pair of those shoes.



I was finally hungry by the time I crossed back over the covered bridge and quickly ate a Clif Bar. I was also through one of my two bottles. It was a little warmer than I expected. That's OK I told myself. I'll just refill one at the restroom at the Hunt Farm Visitor Center. The water was on, but only the hot water. Yuck! But wet is wet and I needed some extra fluids.




The mighty Cuyahoga River, above, and some signs of spring (finally), below.




Upon crossing Akron-Peninsula Road on my way back, I chose the other route and immediately recognized the way from those Run With Scissors races, so on I went with at least no worries about getting lost. I was becoming exhausted and was worried about running out of fluids though.




The wind was really beginning to whip up and the sounds it made passing through the stands of pines was impressive.




Below is a sign I haven't noticed posted before. I'm glad I'm a trail runner and not a trail hiker.

I have no need to try and make a dry crossing!






I reached Pine Hollow and immediately mixed another bottle of Gatorade. With just over two more miles to go to hit 20 I was going to need it! I was prepared to run the Salt Run Trail if I needed three or more miles but was relieved to see I didn't need to head down that section. It's tough and I knew I would be walking most of it. Instead I climbed the Sound of Music Hill and did the two mile loop around Kendall Lake. The photo below is from the short section of Salt Run on the way back. A nice finish to a tough run.





The above photo doesn't do justice to how muddy I was when finished. It was pretty bad and I didn't even want to touch those shoes! Glad I brought two towels! Anyway, yesterday was THE day I've been waiting for all winter. It was sunny and warm, the trails weren't crowded or noisy, and I ran PAIN FREE! A great day all around.

1 comment:

Dave said...

I'm glad to read you're back on track pain free. That has to be a relief and feel really good to get back on the trails.

I'm out of town for a conference and stopped on the way there to visit family in Arizona. I got to run on a couple mountain trails. It's a much different run both in scenery and technical differences. I ended up rolling my ankle pretty badly on one of the loose rocks even though I was paying pretty close attention.

If you have the inclination (and something to say), I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts in a future post as to the relationship between weekly mileage and the long weekend run as prep for an ultra event. I understand you want to get more and more hours on your feet on the weekend run, but I'm confused as to most of the plans I see for mileage during the week is pretty low, as yours is.

I'm currently running 2-3 runs during the week of 6-10 miles and running a long weekend run of 16 miles. Am I running too much during the week?