Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Running in the Snow

An inch of snow evenly covers the track, with just the occasional snowflake randomly falling. Two floodlights above the stands splash the entire track in light thanks to the reflective layer of snow. The light reaching even to the furthest corners, dim but noticeable. No one else has been here yet. A pristine blanket of snow awaits my tracks, my autograph on this night. Maybe tomorrow someone will venture out here and find my surely frozen footprints in lane one. The wind, gusting out of the northwest, chills my hands as I make my way down the back straight and around the far curve. But numb fingers alone aren't going to stop me. Heavier gloves next time. Lap after lap I make my way back to the line on the track I uncovered with my shoe. I notice with detached amusement how my footprints often fall in the same spots. Could I have done that if I had tried? As the snow transforms into slush with each pass, I need to edge my way to the outside of my now established path. There is better running in the fresh snow. How many more laps to go? How long do I want to run? How much would we do on a night like this if more people were here? I don't want to short change this opportunity. It's really not so bad, so I think I'll stick with the plan.

A warm-up mile in 7:32. Hey, that's not bad. Am I sure I ran four laps? I count the footprints to make sure. A recovery lap before another mile, this time in 6:59. Not the fastest mile I've ever run, but for the conditions, pretty good. Why is it that when it's dark you feel like you're running much faster than you actually are? Another recovery lap and it's time for 1200 meters. Only three laps. I illuminate my watch as I cross the line. 5:00 flat? Wow, I guess I'm moving a bit tonight. Another recovery lap and then 800 meters. 3:15! That's a split right out of the summer! Another recovery lap and a final 400 meters. 1:33! Those times are great for not doing any serious speed work since before Columbus. Time for a cool down mile. As the sweat evaporates it starts to get a little chilly. Do I want to do an extra mile? Not tonight, I'm good.

No comments: