Monday, November 24, 2008

2008 Fall Classic Half Marathon

12. The car was showing 12 degrees as I pulled into the parking lot in Strongsville for the Fall Classic yesterday. Good thing we weren't running in Brunswick. I got a 10 driving through there on 71. I made a last minute addition to my wardrobe before heading out the door: tights under my running pants. Good decision too. Although the added weight and restriction of movement slowed me down a bit, my legs did indeed stay warm. As did the rest of me that I layered up. Two pairs of gloves. Two long sleeve shirts. A jacket and a vest. The only area I was having issues was my feet. They were numb by the start and made for some awkward early miles. This was, without a doubt, the coldest race I've done yet. And it's right up there with the coldest runs I've ever done.

But cold or not, slower than usual or not, I must have done something right because I placed third in my age group. I ran a 1:40:02 (by my watch). That's not my best, but certainly not my worst. Here are my mile splits: 6:50 (short mile) / 8:02 (long mile) / 7:33 / 7:34 / 7:23 / 7:24 / 7:57 (hit slower congested traffic on the bike path section) / 7:57 / 7:37 / 7:45 / 7:47 / 7:39 / 7:41 / 45:10. While it may not have been a PR outing, it was a course PR for me by five or six minutes. I felt pretty good for the most part. Definitely started feeling the extra clothing by the second loop. I didn't feel like ditching anything, so I just kept everything on and kept pounding. And pounding is an accurate description too, as I still had not fully recovered from the 20 miles I put in on the bike Friday afternoon. My legs were still tired.

This is a good race. It's become an annual event for me, unpredictably uncomfortable weather and all. They put on a spring race on the same course which I've never done. The only thing that depresses me about this race is that it means Thanksgiving is near which in turn means that the end of the season is upon us. I'm going to try to get outside more this winter than I have in the past. Hopefully that will help with the winter blues.

Next race: The Flying Feather Four Miler, Thanksgiving morning.

Have a happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Dan Horvath said...

how did I miss you? did you see me? I did hear my name called out near one of the turnarounds, but didn't see who it was.

probably will not make it to speedwork tonight, but there's still a possibility. you?