Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Life After a Successful "A" Race

For people who don't just run a lot, but compete in a number races every year, the season is usually broken down into segments with a key race headlining each segment. Those key races are called "A" races. They are followed, of course, by "B" and "C" races. Training builds up to the "A" race, with the hope that the runner will peak for that race. While I may have other races this year that were "A" races, Columbus was my top "A" race. And now it's over. I'm still coming to grips with the fact that I whomped it. Everything worked. I peaked at the right moment. The weather even cooperated. But I've nothing of that caliber to look forward to till next year. And that's a little depressing. I suppose I'm suffering from post-marathon depression (medical term). But rather than dwell on that, I'm going to make some other comments from this weekend.

1. Is it too much to ask, that if you're someone who is walking a race instead of running it, that you queue up BEHIND the runners? It is quite inexcusable for there to be ANY walkers lined up in front ANYONE who is running.

2. Could the floor planner for the Columbus Marathon Race Expo please by sacked? The layout this year was HORRIBLE. Talk about not planning for crowd flow. I didn't mind the serpentine pathway concept, but to have a walkway that's only ten feet wide at parts? That's just madness. There were over 10,000 entrants coming down there to pick up their race packets, and there was NOT enough room. You've gotten it correct up until this year, could you please return to what you've done in the past? Please also see how Cleveland and Akron do it.

3. Kudos, however, to the race management for coming through with upwards of 50 live bands along the course. Although some of them could have been playing a bit more up-tempo music, it was nice to have real people out there for us. I hope race officials from the Cleveland Marathon were taking note. They really did a poor job last year with on course entertainment.

4. Kudos also to Columbus race management for the 21 fluid stations. I don't recall how many there have been in the past or at other races, but they seemed more numerous. That's a good thing, even on a cool day. It's hard to take in the proper amount of fluid at each stop, and having them spaced out about every mile and a half made a HUGE difference. I don't think I would have been as successful without each and every one of them.

5. More mylar blankets at the finish next year please. I didn't get one and I needed one.

6. If you're going to get a hotel room next to Mr. and Mrs. Pythagoras the night before a race and you are going to be up late drinking, talking, and laughing so loudly that it wakes us up and keeps us up, don't be surprised when we strike back the following morning when we wake up HOURS before you. This weekend, we had our room moved but unfortunately "forgot" to turn off the alarm clock. If we could hear their phone ringing through the wall, I know they could hear our alarm clock going off with no one to turn it off. Congrats to Mrs. P for coming up with that idea.

7. Congrats to Mrs. P and her mom for walking the half marathon in under three hours (according to her watch). Now to get her running that distance!

I can't think of anything else right now, but those should suffice. Both of us are registered for the Flying Feather Four Miler on Thanksgiving morning, so I have that to look forward to. And I might consider finishing out the year with some various 5Ks as well. As long as my knee heals that is.

Mr. P

(edit)
I forgot to include mention of last night. So, two days after running a marathon I show up for the weekly speed work. Jim and Dan were there and I got to hear about their recent successes as well as share mine. 4 X 400 was all I could handle after a mile warm-up. My knee was bothering me. Best not to do too much with and let it heal up.

No comments: