Wednesday, February 16, 2011

BR100 Training - Week 6

Six weeks was all it took. Injury. I went and aggravated a tendon in the front of the left ankle. Same injury as a year ago. Everything was going fine until Saturday, when I ran 18 in the new Saucony's. Whether it was the new shoes, the ice and snow we were running in, or a combination of the two, I don't know. The pain was minor after Saturday's run but had me limping around after 12 in Hinckley on Sunday. That's when the swelling was most noticeable too. Still is, actually. It's an overuse injury and rest is the only option at this point. So no running for a while. Which is hard because we're finally getting some spring-like weather this week. I will have to cut my mileage down for a while and reduce the number of runs I've been doing and see what happens. Three weeks out from Green Jewel means I need to make sure I'm in good enough shape to finish. There won't be any sag wagon support available. I missed the GJ last year because of injury and I don't plan on doing that again.



Monday - Rest
Tuesday - Chest and Back AM / Run 3 miles treadmill PM
Wednesday - Run 2 miles treadmill
Thursday - Run 4 miles treadmill
Friday - Off
Saturday - Run 18 miles road
Sunday - Run 12 miles road

Weekly total = 39 miles

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That stinks D.

I used to be a big fan of outdoor winter running, but I've had a somewhat similar experience. I primarily run the Virginia Kendall trails for my long weekend run, and the hardpacked snow on the trails has been especially hard on my feet. My left ankle is a bit wonky as a result and even though those microspikes I just bought work great for traction, I've pretty much written off the trails until ALL the snow melts. Too bad - I really like running outdoors in the cooler weather.

So next winter I guess I'm looking at even more treadmill training.