Friday, May 28, 2010

Thursday Night Trail Run

OK! OK! I admit it! Trail running for me is partly just an excuse to get outdoors and into areas where I can photo document the world as I see it. I find it to be tremendously rewarding both physically and photographically. Last night was no exception. It was a warm day, around 85 degrees or so, and due to the lack of wind, there was an o-zone action alert issued. None the less, I headed out the door after work with the intention of running long in the Hinckley Reservation. The sun in the late afternoon and early evening was just right for some great photo opportunities.


I parked at the spillway and started out running clockwise around Hinckley Lake, proceeding directly up the Ledges.

I really enjoy the Ledges in the late afternoon when the light is coming from the west, shining directly on that side and lighting up everything.

One of the many crevices on the Ledges.

This is ALL uphill!

Upon reaching the top of the Ledges and running through some trees, the trail opens up onto wide fields of grass.

Parker Rd., where the section of trail ends, is home to a certain power line tower where the buzzards LOVE to roost. I came upon four. Three flew away leaving this guy.

Back onto trail, the bridle trail, after descending and then climbing Parker Rd.

Running west, directly into the sun.

The bugs were out, but you can't tell in the photos.

It's only a matter of time till this guy comes crashing down.


Part of the fun of running trails is that you never really know what's around the next bend.

Or the next rise.


Back down into the part of the park where everyone else is.

One last view of Hinckley Lake after sunset as I was approaching the parking lot and the end of my run. 11 miles total in under 2 hours. Pretty good! I was running solo but passed the Thursday night group at one point. I saw one deer as it bounded into the woods away from me, many squirrels, TONS of bugs, my first hooter in the wild (that would be an owl!), and a galloping goddess in a tight pink tank top riding her steed toward me. Ah, the many joys of trail running!

No comments: