Sunday, May 23, 2010

Busy Busy Weekend!

What a great weekend for training! Saturday was a little unpredictable with the hit-or-miss rain showers coming through, but today proved to be wall to wall sunshine just like Dick Goddard predicted.

While some people were running a 100K "fun run" on Saturday, I decided it's time to take the ultra thing down a notch for now so I can focus my training on triathlons. After all, I have a doozie coming up in September. With the scattered rain on Saturday I chose to stay indoors and swim instead. The pool was busy but there wasn't a shortage of lap lanes. We were just sandwiched between the pool party kids on the diving board and the scuba class on the other side of the pool. I wanted a long swim, and that's exactly what I did. 2 miles in 1:35. I'm still not the quickest one in the water, but I'm getting better. My half mile splits were 22:52 / 22:09 / 23:35 / and 26:28. I don't know why that last half mile took so long. I felt really good and thought I was keeping pace with the previous marks.

Today Mrs. P wanted to go for a long bike ride in the morning, so my workout would be later in the day, and would most likely be warm. It was. Sunshine with only a few clouds. 80 degrees plus humidity making it feel even warmer. Today I took the road bike out for the first time since Steelhead last year. Equipped with a shorter stem and a new Adamo saddle, I was also trying out a new fit for the first time. Parking at Buckeye Woods Park I set out on a large loop of rural roads, some of which are part of the Twin Sizzler Bike Races held on the Fourth of July. I completed two 14-ish mile loops for a total of 29.4 miles in 1:50. That's a 15.9 mph average. Not great, but it gives me something to work on.

After stowing the bike in the car and changing gear, I was then off for my run. I was hoping for 10 miles, but it wasn't to be today. 7.1 was the best I could offer before my fluids ran out. This afternoon was just too warm to push too much. It was a great bike/run brick none the less.

Finally, here are some photos from my run along the Reagan Park mountain bike trails this past Thursday evening. Enjoy!







No comments: