Wednesday, December 30, 2009

THE Final Post of 2009

I have some time while waiting for my ride to North Carolina, so I thought it would be good to discuss 24 hour strategy. I have a few ideas in mind:

1. Start out by running either a hard marathon or 50K. I'm talking sub-8 minute miles. Get a good start by logging 26 to 31 miles in under 4 hours. Then take a break. Do some walking. Eat something. After I'm rested, do it again! I ran this idea past Ladd and Dan and neither one thought it was a very smart plan. I agree!

2. Do whatever feels good. If I feel like running, I run. If I feel like walking, I walk. If I feel like running faster, I speed up. Slow down? Sure, why not! Another version of this plan involved me not looking at how many laps or miles I've logged at all until after finishing. I still like the not knowing part, especially for this first try at 24 hours, but I don't think I could do it.

3. The third and most likely option will be to run for a prescribed number of minutes and/or miles, and then walk for a certain amount of time or distance. This is probably the way to go, as I've already set the countdown timer on my watch to 20 minutes. That means every 20 minutes it's time to take a walking break. We'll see how that works out. On a one mile loop course, I'm thinking the way to go will be to run 2 to 3 laps, then walk half a lap after grabbing some drinks and food at the aid station. We'll see...

I'm hoping for decently dry weather. It can be chilly if it wants to. It can even snow! I'm just hoping for a minimum of rain. But if it does rain, we've been there and done that. For 31 miles! We'll just have to tough it out a little longer this time.

Happy New Year!

No comments: