Sunday, July 19, 2009

2009 Columbus International Triathlon

I've done a few Olympic distance races before, but yesterday was my first Olympic triathlon. All the others have been duathlons. And while I've had good results on this particular course in the past, the longer events have taken their toll on me. Because of that, I didn't know what to expect. On one hand, I'm better trained and in better condition. On the other, I'm swapping an additional run (which is my strong sport) for swimming, which is my weakest. So I decided not to expect anything and just go with what the day would present me.

What the day first presented me with was a beautifully clear July morning. Below average temperatures made it feel a bit on the chilly side. It was going to be a cool day. Definitely not a scorcher like we can so often get. Cooler temps make for better running. A good sign.

The scene from my point of view as I was prepping the bikes.


Mrs. P was trying to squeeze in some extra z's so she missed admiring the moon.


While Mrs. P slept, everyone else arrived.


We were the first ones in line to pick up our race packets at 4:45 AM. I guess that means the line formed behind us! After picking up our timing chips, we headed back to the Jeep where I promptly got to work removing the bikes from the car rack, inflating tires, attaching numbers, mixing Gatorade, and putting the finishing touches on my transition bag. Mrs. P promptly reclined the front passenger seat and went back to sleep.

Soon it was time to take everything over to transition and get body marked. Nap time was over.


Transition was a busy place.


View looking out of transition at the run in/out.


Mrs. P carefully walking down the hill that goes up to transition from the swim and run 1 of the duathlon.


The walkway under Rt. 315 leading to the lake and the run course. Swimmers get to run this barefoot once out of the water!


Sunrise over Antrim Lake.


The 75 degree water was steamy in the early morning air. It cleared out pretty quick though.




From triangular buoy to the one way in the distance formed one side of the triangular swim course. Sprint racers did one lap. We got to go around a second time.


Mrs. P still doesn't look awake yet.


But I was! Notice the timing chip already in place. That sucker wasn't coming off today!





These guys had no idea a pack of runners would soon be heading their way.


Back at the Jeep so I could transform from Mr. P into Captain Orca!


I thought I heard the announcer calling everyone to the starting areas.

This race was a time trial start, no waves. We lined up from high number to low, with the Olympic distance athletes going first followed by the sprint racers. In one long single file line, we inched forward to the starting mats laid out on the water's edge. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get into the water to do any warm-up swimming. I was going to be hitting the water cold. All I could think was, "This is going to be interesting." To keep my mind off of what was coming, I was able to chat with #481, the guy behind me, and listen to the woman ahead of me, the defending women's champion.

Upon hitting the water, the first thing I thought was that it was warm. The second being it was somewhat clear. You could actually see more than a few inches ahead. A few feet in fact! It was kind of eerie. having just seen Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince on Thursday night, I kept expecting to see hundreds of Inferi appearing out of the dark depths. Fortunately for us, there were no enchanted dead corpses waiting to pull us under to our doom.

The first lap of the swim was tough, as I expected it to be. It takes me a good half mile to find my rhythm and I was having trouble breathing and sighting the buoy. Alternating between front crawl and breaststroke, I made my way steadily forward. I was being passed by a lot of swimmers. I tried not to think about that, but to just keep moving forward. Coming down the third side of the triangle, I realized that I needed to be on the inside of the course and not the outside. I was mixed in with the sprint athletes and they were going to be exiting on the right. I needed to round the next buoy on the left. Spotting a gap in the field I angled and swam hard to cross over and not get in anyone else's way. Eventually I made it to the turn and rounding it, I headed back out for lap number two.

Lap two was a much better experience. For starters, the field disappeared, leaving me nice calm water to swim in. I actually enjoyed it! But most importantly, I finally found my rhythm. With the breathing thing down, I started catching some of the swimmers ahead of me. I passed one at the turn to the back side of the triangle and nearly caught two more before the swim finish. I don't know how deep that little lake is, but it used to be a quarry, so I'm thinking it's pretty deep in the middle. Not something I wanted to think about while swimming.

My swim split was 45:10. Better than I could do in the pool but the 4th slowest swim split of the day. I was pleased with it as I was running along the walkway under 315 and up the grassy hill towards transition.

After a four minute transition from swim to bike I was out on the road for 5 five mile laps. The bike course is a clockwise rectangular route following Olentangy River Road, Rt. 161, Rt. 315, and Henderson Rd. There is some wicked speed to be found going down the entrance ramp from 161 to 315. The remainder of 315 is flat to slightly downhill. To make up for that, Olentangy River Rd. is rolling with a net uphill. The 25 miles took me an hour and 19 minutes with an 18.7 mph average. Not the best (for sure) but not the worst either. 114th overall bike split.

Upon finally finishing lap five, I headed back into transition only to find the opposite of T-1, everyone else was back already. And some people were packed up and heading home! After a much faster transition than the first one I was all business in running mode. When I get running, sometimes a switch flips and I become someone else. That happened yesterday, but to a milder extent. It's like I donned a "No Passing" sign when I got off the bike because no one passed me. And I made back some serious time. My run split was 46:14, 7:28/mile. Where I was 167 in the swim, and 114 on the bike, my run split was 28th fastest of 171. What a discrepancy! If I was any stronger a swimmer or biker I would actually be dangerous. And you can quote me on that!


Heading towards the finish.


Almost there. Can you sense the determination?

I was happy, not to be finished, but that I once again finished with a strong run. That "no passing" sign was on my back again.


Mrs. P going up to receive her AG award.


2nd of 4 in her AG. Nice job!


Our now obligatory photo from the hood of the car.

So, another race in the books. Another good experience. Some more tough spots to learn from. All to make me stronger for the big race which is now less than two weeks away, Steelhead. That one is going to be interesting. Hopefully I won't be left behind on the swim and bike, but chances are I will. That's OK, just as long as I can kick butt on the run. That's when people are hurting. That's when it feels good to put on a strong pass. Makes them wonder how you do it. I don't know how I do it. Probably has something to do with all the running I do.

No comments: