Sunday, August 17, 2008

2008 Vermillion Harbor Sprint Duathlon

I don't think the weather could have been any better for racing than what we had today. We began the morning in the 60s and by the time I finished, it was probably still in the mid 70s. Not a cloud in the sky. We were racing in Vermilion, OH, home of Dick Goddard's Woolly Bear Festival every fall. I had never been there before. Nice little town. I would like to go back again, aside from more racing.

And speaking of racing, I'll just get right to it. I finished 3rd in my age group, just about one minute behind the 2nd place finisher, and 15th overall. I had him on the run, but it wasn't enough to make up the time he put on me during the bike. My shin was bothering me a little during Run 1, and I thought I was pushing harder than I actually was. My time was 22:40 for the first 5K, averaging out to 7:19 minute miles. I know I can do much better than that so I need to figure out what happened. The bike was a little bumpy and tight at times, but overall I'm pleased with my final time. They call it a 20K but my computer read 11.3 or so. Either way they're giving me 35:34 at 20.9 mph. I know I wasn't averaging that kind of speed so I think my computer is right. I'm improved over last year, but not that much. I completed Run 2 in 24:01 averaging 7:45 minute miles. Again, I felt I was going faster, but I guess I wasn't.

Now I'm left with the season finale for the Duathlon series. It's next month at Portage Lakes State Park in Akron. And that's all folks for this year's multi-sport season. I'm planning some changes for next year. They should prove to be interesting if nothing else. Now I think I'm going to go down stairs and eat some 4-layer chocolate and peanut butter fudge bars that Mrs. P made yesterday. I won't say how good they are because I don't want to share!

Mr. P

No comments: