Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Long Time, No Write

I know it's been a while since I've updated last, and I apologize. No, I don't. I take that back. I was on vacation, so I'm not sorry I haven't updated. I was busy while on vacation. And not just doing vacation type things. I was able to get a few workouts in. Three treadmill sessions, plus one elliptical workout, and some free weights. Not bad considering all the driving around and walking in 100 degree heat.

We decided to head to the nation's capital. Somewhere none of the Pythagoras' have been before. We were in Washington on Saturday, Sunday, and part of Monday. All three days were HOT. On Saturday, we toured The National Mall and saw what sights we could. We walked an estimated 6.5 to 7 miles that day, but were able to see most of the major things. I won't go into a day by day recounting of our trip, but here's a list of what we did: Two Hard Rock Cafe's, The National Aquarium of Baltimore, The National Air and Space Museum Annex at Dulles Airport, Arlington National Cemetery, the Marine Corps Memorial, a tour of the U.S. Capitol, a ride on the Metro, Colonial Williamsburg, Busch Gardens Europe, a quick stop at Gettysburg, Hershey Chocolate World, and Hershey Park. Like I said, we were busy.

Sunday morning I was able to get in one final bike/run brick. I took the mountain bike out the trail for 15 miles, then ran 3 around the neighborhood. It was a little warm here too. Except for a mystery pain in my left knee, I felt pretty good.

Last night I joined the running club for my second speed session on the track. That first one two weeks ago was easy compared to last night. I was really working to keep up with everyone. We started with a mile warm-up followed by some 100 meter striders. Next came 4 X400 meter intervals at 90 seconds with minimal rest between. Then we did 2 X 800 meters at about 3 minute pace, jogging a lap between. Finally, we finished with another set of 4 X 400 meters at a slightly quicker pace than the first set. I was pretty tired and it took me a while to get my breathing back under control during the mile cool-down. A good workout, even though it hurt like hell. It's supposed to help me get faster, so I hope it works.

I'm looking forward to my now first race of the season this Sunday at Maumee Bay State Park. It's my first sprint distance duathlon since last June. I'm excited because the course is very flat and fast. There are so many cyclists on the course that drafting is inevitable, and my average speed should be higher than normal. Not that I intentionally draft when it's illegal, there are just so many people on that first lap, it cannot be avoided. Last year was super hot, hopefully the weather will be a little more race friendly this year.

Mr. P

No comments: