Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Back to the Track

I would venture a guess that it has been about 16 years since I've set foot upon a track for a workout. Until tonight that is. I want to write while I'm still hurting. Not leg hurt either. The post hard run gut pain. The long slow runs just don't give me that kind of pain.

Actually, the workout went really well. I was surprised at how good I felt doing the speed work. We began with a leisurely 1 mile warm up. We then proceeded into 8 X 400 meter repeats with 100 meter recovery. My breathing held out till the last couple sets. I wasn't huffing and puffing like I expected. After the 400's  we did two laps of jogging the curves and striding the straights. Again I felt good. But this time I was pushing and going anaerobic. On the last 100 meter repeat, I was giving it all I had. It was nice. Brought back some memories from many years ago.

We did a 1 mile cool down at a very easy pace. I joined a couple other runners after the cool down to log some more laps, doing another mile and a quarter. Did I mention that we did our workout in a steady rain? I was soaked. I hate running in wet shoes, but that's what I had. I was ringing water out of my shirt and shorts. But it was fun! I can't wait to do it again. I need to add speed work and this is going to be the only way I do it.

Now, I need to go get a big bowl of ice cream.

Mr. P

No comments: