Saturday, April 19, 2008

Overtraining

With the Hermes 10 Miler coming up this Saturday, I'm once again dealing with a bout of over training. I've been feeling so good running lately, I just can't stop adding mileage. On three days rest last week, I did another 9 miler. That should be a once a week long run for me. Here I'm adding one in mid-week. I need to stop doing that. But in my defense, it was on a gravel trail so impact was minimized.

About this exact time last year I had to deal with the same problem. The 10 Miler went fine, but the 5K a week later was rough. It's the shins mostly. I have a sore quad from the half marathon still, but I can deal with that. It's the shin pain that really gets me. This is why I, as much as I would like to, can't run everyday. So I'm going to take the rest of the week off from running. I will substitute heavy cross training. Particularly the elliptical and the bike. I'm overdue for some bike training anyway. So I'm going to hook up the new bike computer to my mountain bike and hit some trails. And I'll possibly try out our new Gazelle. You know, the one Tony Little hawks on his infomercials. If it works as well as it does on TV, then we're in business.

Mr. P 

No comments: