Sunday, April 27, 2008

2008 Hermes Cleveland 10 Miler

Something is going on this year, and I don't know what it is. Actually I do know what it is, I just don't want to say it out loud. Yesterday, I competed in my fifth event for the season. And I came away with my third PR. And the other two were really close. Whatever it is I'm doing, it must be good, because my times are improving dramatically. Looks like 2008 is shaping up to be a very interesting year.

I didn't write much this past week. Not so much for a lack of anything to write about, but simply because I have been busier than usual lately. I took the entire week off from running last week. I just cross-trained. My shin was beginning it's dull ache, which inevitably leads to the throbbing and extreme sensitivity. I didn't want to go there, so I took some time off. Instead I did my first outdoor ride since last September. Dusted off the mountain bike, a 10 year old Schwinn, and went for a 9 mile ride. I also hit the weights and began walking at lunchtime. I felt fresh heading into Saturday and the 10 miler.

That fresh feeling is probably why I ran the first mile in 6:16. Shocking, isn't it? I was certainly shocked when I checked my split and saw that looking back at me. I knew I was going WAY too fast. Hell, I started within 4 rows of the start line. I went out too fast, and knowing that, slowed down for mile 2, completing that in 7:06. Still below my desired 7:30 pace. Mile 3? 7:03. That's not slower! Mile 4? 7:37. That's more like it. Except I was slowing down because I was now tired, not because of a conscious effort to slow my pace. The next two miles passed in 7:54 and 7:55. Miles 7, 8, and 9 were eight minute plus miles. Leaving mile 10 to save my overall time in 6:53. I finished the race in 1:15.09. That's a 7:31 per mile average. Exactly what I was hoping to do, just not the way I was hoping to do it. I was 20th out of 75 in my age group, and 102nd out of over 800 overall. But what's best is I knocked over 5 minutes off my time from last year. Another PR baby!

I have no idea how long this PR business is going to go on this year. I have a flat 5K coming up Friday night. If I can duplicate that first mile three times during the race, my 5K PR doesn't stand a chance. But I'm not going to worry about it. If it happens? Great! If not? No big loss. But it would be nice to take out another long standing PR. My 5K PR has stood since 1992. I would SO like to take that one out!

I also need to congratulate Mrs. P on her 3rd place finish in her age group this morning in the Buzzard 3 Mile Run. The race was in the Hinkley Metropark Reservation. This was probably the toughest race she's done. If you're not familiar with the park, it's all hills. There are very few flat spots. You're either going up or down. She was out there with no real expectations, and ended up bringing home some hardware. Congratulations Mrs. P!

Mr. P  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great job yourself, Mr. P! I think by breaking your past PRs, your body is getting you ready for Hawaii without you even knowing it!

No expectations = good things happening.

:) Mrs. P