Tuesday, July 26, 2011

And Then There Were Four

Four days, that is. Race day is almost here, tapering is coming along nicely, and I'm ready to just get out there and get this one started. I feel good. Not perfect, but good. No aches or pains save one: a painful area at the front of my left heel nearest the arch. This is a new one and I'm not sure if it's my first case of plantar fasciitis or maybe just a bruise from some hard trails in the recent weeks. It mostly hurts to touch, not while standing, running, or walking. If that's my only problem this weekend, I will be thankful!

It's gotten hot recently too. REALLY hot. And humid. So I've been trying to get in some heat runs. They've not been terribly long, or comfortable, but I've felt decent, and they've given me a chance to nail down my hydration.

I've also found some new shoes in the last two weeks: Hoka One One. They're fairly new to the market and are the anti-minimalist shoe to end all shoes. These things have some cushion! And the comfort! Don't get me started about how comfortable they are! It's like riding in a Cadillac. Not one of the new one's, but one of the old boats from the 70's or 80's. My feet have been the weak point during my super long runs and I'm hoping these shoes will help me solve that problem.

My last run will most likely be tonight, just some easy miles at the track. Then it's just a matter of getting all my gear together and organized. That's a job in itself. So much stuff. I'm glad this is a summer race and I won't have to worry about cold weather. Lots more gear involved with cold weather running. But right now I'm focusing on the heat!

3 comments:

Dave said...

Good Luck!

If you're so inclined after the race, I'd love to hear more information on the Hokas. I've been looking at them for longer runs for the added cushioning, so your comments have me intrigued.

I've also had issues getting long runs in because of the heat. Mostly because of sweat-induced inner thigh chafing. Whatever I try doesn't seem to work. Any suggestions?

Dan D. said...

Thanks, Dave! And I hear you about the chafing. I've tried Body Glide and that seems to work. What I normally wear are Under Armor compression-esque shorts as a base layer. They prevent and skin-on-skin contact.

I'll let you know about the Hokas. So far I love them! I'm worried about trail conditions with the rain storms that have been coming through lately and how they will take mud and water crossings. I'm thinking they may get limited use this weekend. Specialized duty!

Dave said...

Well, you're out on the course now and I'm reading your blog! No, I'm not slacking - I'm getting ready for my long Saturday run as well, just not as long as your. I hope you're feeling great and do well.

Thanks for the tips. I have used body glide in the past, the problem seems to be the amount of sweat generated during these humid days. My running shorts are completely soaked after just 10 miles or so. Then last night at Vertical Runner doing some shorts shopping, I saw a pair with a "compression like" liner inside and it hit me that would really help. So your suggestion is right on. I've never been a huge fan of the compression stuff, but if these shorts work well, I will definitely be picking up some stuff for the hot, humid runs.

Also, thanks for the comments on the Hokas, that helps. I was considering them for the extra cushioning as my feet seem to really get sore and banged up on my long runs and I'm fighting some heel pain this year. I may give them a try. My Brooks are my current "go to" shoe when the trails are nasty.

Here's hoping for a BR finish and a fun time!