Thursday, July 7, 2011

2011 Twin Sizzler 5K and 10K



After running Friday night/Saturday morning, I didn't know if I would be capable of turning out a race-worthy performance for either of the pair of July 4th runs. I rested the entire day on Saturday and took Sunday off to recover as well. When we began making margaritas late in the day on the 3rd, I began to doubt if I would even be able to get up early the following morning. But while watching Medina's fireworks display from the sidewalk around our little development that night, I felt pretty good. Good enough to go straight to bed afterward, get up early, and give it a go.


I ran up to the Square from home with money to register because it was a nice morning and I didn't feel like driving such a short distance. The 1.8 miles made for a very nice warm-up and I was literally dripping sweat as I struggled to fill out the registration form. I must have looked quite the mess. Soon enough I was back outside to bide my time until the start of the 5K. I would be running both, with the 5K as another warm-up. I wanted my miles!


Rather than race all-out in the 5K, I started very slow and way in the back of the pack. The start was downhill and I wanted no temptation to go out too fast. My 10K PR was 20 years old and if I were going to make an attempt on one of the two times, it would be that one. Once the field spread out, I settled into a comfortable pace and concentrated on maintaining good form and breathing. It wasn't really hot out, and we had solid cloud cover, but the humidity made for harder breathing.


The race was uneventful and I saw a few people I knew. We wound our way back to the Square and had a nice uphill finish in front of the Courthouse. My official time was 23:46. Not horrible, but not that good either. But it didn't bother me as I wasn't running hard. Race data for the 5K can be found HERE.


After finishing, I had about a 45 minute wait until the start of the 10K. I took this time to rehydrate and consume an entire pack of Clif Shot Blocks, a gummy version of a sports drink. I also took a gel to help with calories. I found an empty park bench and relaxed for a while. Yes, I had a good shot at beating my 10K PR because it was so old, but I didn't want to dwell on it. No pressure. Just a 6.2 mile run with effort.


The start of the 10K was the same as the 5K only a little smaller. Fewer people wanted to run the longer distance. I also lined up further forward, but not far enough that I would get caught up with the fast guys. Downhill we went, turned, and the long climb up Rt. 57 began. I settled into a solid pace and found myself working my way up through the field. "Not too fast," I would think to myself. I wanted to save any speed for the second half.


I didn't know the course, so I was in for a treat when I saw that we would run up the big hill off of Lexington Ridge. It's a great training hill so racing it would be even better! Again, I just maintained a steady pace and climbed. Pretty soon it was over, we leveled out, and then it was time to descend. This was the first real downhill with open space, so I just let the legs spin. Not pushing, just cruising downhill. At the bottom would be a turn, followed by another large uphill. I knew there was another downhill coming so again, I pushed just hard enough going up. The rest of the race would continue like that: pushing conservatively on the uphills and nearly hammering the downhills. And my mile splits were getting faster!


Pretty soon we were at the bottom of the hill to the finish. Time for one final push, so I switched into a faster gear. I like to kick at the end, but I wasn't too worried about getting the best possible finish placement. If someone wanted to kick and pass me going uphill, they were going to have to hurt and earn it. I was catching up to two men ahead of me, but we were so close to the finish chute, only an all-out sprint on my part would have put me past them. I had it in me, but decided not to pull the trigger. We finished one behind the other going into the chute. It would turn out, the first fellow was in my age group and took 2nd. I took 3rd. I didn't find out until Tuesday about placing, and just today about the placing. Anything can happen in a race. For me, I am happy with my performance. I had a good, solid run and achieved a new PR at 45:39, but left TONS of room to beat it again in the future. 10K race data can be found HERE.


I am 23 days out from Burning River and I'm racing short stuff. And it was FUN! That's what I've been hoping to experience. 100 miles is a long way and needs to be taken seriously or it will mess someone up. But for me, it needs to be fun or it's not worth doing. I hope I can continue in this direction and show up ready to have a grand time for 100 miles!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful Keep up the faith. You've got the right stuff. Like the exact numers posted. Love, Texas