Friday, June 25, 2010

A Minor Training Setback

Everything was going so well just a few weeks ago. Then, with one telephone call, everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, shifts in importance and priority. Vacations, training, racing, everything was thrown to the wind and left to land where they would.

Without getting into any detail, we had a family medical emergency arise on June 6 that had us cancelling work, school, and a trip to Colorado we'd been planning since January. That's life, I suppose.

The physically hard part for me now is to figure out how to get back into my training. The day before the phone call I completed a rocking bike/run brick in the Cuyahoga Valley. 41 miles touring The Valley with some serious climbs mixed in, followed by 15 miles of running on the Towpath. The day was warm, muggy, buggy, and GREAT!

Then came a week and a half of 0 swimming, biking, or running. I decided enough was enough and planned a long run for the morning of Thursday the 17. I was hoping for 20 to 26 miles but only managed 17. That was all I had. I was hurting and tired. The damp fog I was running in probably wasn't ideal, but the hours I was keeping and the diet I was eating were more so.

Hit the track Tuesday for a 5K in the 90 degree heat and sun. I didn't feel too bad, better than I expected, and finished in 21:40. Definitely great hot weather training!

Hoping to get back into the water this afternoon for a long swim. Something in the range of two miles. I'm also planning another bike/run brick for tomorrow. Maybe this time I will take the run to the trails!

No comments: