Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Last Thursday's Return to the Trails

I was really looking forward to returning to the secluded trails of the Hinckley Reservation last week. I had gone WAY too long without running there. Imagine my surprise and disappointment when no one else was there upon my arrival. I waited a couple minutes while gathering my gear, and still when no one arrived, I set off alone into the woods. Here are some pictures I captured on film of my adventure. That's right, FILM! I stopped by Dodd Camera, picked up a new battery, and a roll of film just for the occasion. This little 35 mm camera is smaller than any of the digital cameras we have. Enjoy!


























My run took me out the Bridle Trail to Parker Rd., which is 4.5 to 5.0 miles. All the photos were taken while en route to the turn around point, because I was rapidly loosing daylight. By the time I reached Parker Rd., dusk had fallen, and it was time to put on my new headlamp and give it a try.

I had spotted what I thought were bats, while it was still light enough to see, on the way out. I assumed they were still flying just above my head in the dark, even though I couldn't see them. What other creatures would be out in the dark? What creatures would awaiting my return trip? By myself. I could not let thoughts like that penetrate my imagination or I was seriously screwed. So with a blank mind I set off back down the path.

The run back was uneventful, though lonely. The darkness of the night combined with my understanding that I was far removed from other human beings as to create a physical weight upon my shoulders. With the realization of my isolation weighing down on me, I ran.

Fortunately I was familiar with the trails and knew which direction to take at each fork I came to. Had I been any less familiar with them, I would have been in some real trouble. But I arrived back at the car in one piece. The rustlings in the woods did not follow me out. Or did they? I did hear something on the fallen leaves, so it was a quick unload into the trunk and then I was in the car with the doors locked, engine started, and on my way home.

This was my first trail run in the dark. My second run in the dark was going to come only three days later. But that's a different story.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent photography!!! Love, Texas