Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Post Marathon Recovery Run

Recovery run? Yeah, right! I was hoping for just a couple-three easy miles but ended up being talked into mile repeats by Connie. After a nearly two and a half mile warm-up (during which I actually felt pretty good), we started. Mile one was around 7:00 or so. I don't know for sure because I hit the buttons in the wrong order on the GPS and it got all messed up. I didn't feel bad during that first mile. I was able to keep the pace, which left me pleasantly surprised.

The pack took off again with only a 200 meter recovery, which I forgot about and missed because I was talking with Dan, who was doing his own set of 800's. So I began my second rep half a lap behind everyone else. I was able to close the gap a little, but I never caught them. Just maintaining an even distance behind them was all I could muster.

Another short recovery and we were off again. With one important difference: There was nothing left in my legs. They just wouldn't do what I wanted them to do. Post-race exhaustion raised it's ugly head and won. I finished the mile, but at a very slow pace. Cool-down pace. And then I was done. Six miles in just under 50 minutes was the total. I wouldn't even call it a speed workout.

I should rest tonight but we're hitting the trails instead. You can bet I'm just going to take things easy though.

No comments: