Friday, August 28, 2009

Back To Reagan

Second week in a row that we ran the mountain bike trails in Reagan Park. I just can't get over how great those trails are and how close they are. And that I've never been on them until last week!

This week I met up with Ladd and Chris, who were already running when I got there, for some off road miles. It took a few minutes for us to meet up once I arrived, but then we were off. The trails were easier to run this week because they were dry. No slip sliding in the turns.

Chris left after a few miles and Ladd and I ended up crossing Reagan Parkway and running the loop over by the soccer fields. It felt like we ran that loop MUCH faster than last week. Maybe we did. Maybe it just seemed that way.

Ladd headed for home with nearly 12 miles, but I stayed to run solo to get my 10 miles in. We didn't see quite as many deer this week, but that could be because there were a lot more people out on the trails. Especially mountain bikers. Most of whom were not wearing helmets. That's just plain dumb, folks. There's way too much to hit, like narrow diameter tree stumps, when you fall to not wear a helmet on those trails. And as they say, if you haven't fallen yet, you will. Back to the wildlife. What we did have this week were groundhogs. Groundhogs, woodchucks, whatever you want to call them, they were out and about. One crossed the trail about two feet in front of me. I could hear the rustling approaching the trail but couldn't see what it was. Then it just burst out of the underbrush, hightailing it across the trail and back into the ground cover on the other side. Hightailing it as only a big fat groundhog can! That encounter was close enough to be considered a near collision. At least it wasn't a big buck.

And speaking of deer, as I was finishing up my miles the trail I was following did a looping turn around this small meadow/clearing of sorts. As I'm watching the ground about a meter or so in front of me, I don't get to enjoy much of the scenery. But out of my peripheral vision I think I see a deer standing, looking right at me. So I glance up and sure enough, there she was. And there was another, much smaller one laying down on the ground behind her. I assumed it was mother and daughter so I just kept running the direction I was going without changing anything about my pace or the sounds I was making. I didn't have any interest in a protective mother!

It's raining today. Nice day for a rest day! Which I need as I'm planning on 10 more tomorrow with another 20 on Sunday. Lots of running...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have heaven on earth, hey. Thanks for the imaging. Love, Texas